- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Propellers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I personally like post flight inspections myself, you have to get the bugs off anyway so thats a good time to look things over closely while your wiping it down.
That way you also have time to deal with issues you find and are less likely to let things go because the wife is sitting in the airplane waiting on you
I do too when I have the time. If i'm just out flying around for fun, I usually have time at the conclusion of the flight and I like to wipe it down, but the last few flights have been on a schedule with no time to really look at it at the end. Land, put it up and run to the office.

My hangar mate took a look at the other blade and thinks he's found another small crack...both of these blades are headed back to Sensenich. After my problem with my first prop (a catto), and now this, I'm really bummed out. I think I'll just put a metal prop on it next. 120 hours and cracks in both blades? The prop has a red line of 2700 RPM and I've never gotten much over 2600 in a descent and that would be for a moment or two only. I cruise at 2500 almost all the time, so I can't fathom it's RPM related. I thought I was babying this thing...very bummed out at the moment
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Sensenich GA Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 01-26-2019, 08:44 PM

Default Prop failure

WOW, Thanks for sharing that Mark. I'd be interested to hear what Sensenich has to say after examining the blade (if they're willing to share).
best X-mas present I could have hoped for!
paid 'til 10-19
Old 01-26-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I personally like post flight inspections myself, you have to get the bugs off anyway so thats a good time to look things over closely while your wiping it down.
That way you also have time to deal with issues you find and are less likely to let things go because the wife is sitting in the airplane waiting on you
Yep.. I've been in the habit of a complete pre-flight, and then a thorough post-flight inspection.. Just gives me peace of mind and double the chance of finding something.. Can't hurt!
Old 01-26-2019, 10:24 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Wow Mark - really glad that you shared this! The essence of safety is to show others problems we encounter - with no worry about blame or criticism. Some don’t understand that, but ignore them. Good job.

So my thought on this is I wonder if Sensenich ever tested th prop on this engine with electronic ignition. There is some evidence that the power pulses on with EI are sharper than with mags, and can (or could) cause issues with props. This might be evidence of that.

Please keep the community informed on what you find out.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 01-26-2019, 10:52 PM

Default Pitch setting

Thank you very much for your post Mark, it will sure make me look much more closely at my prop on every flight.

I can't help but wonder if the pitch setting would contribute to this problem. What was your pitch pin number setting for the pitch?

Thanks, Steve
Old 01-27-2019, 01:25 AM

Default Paint crack only?

Can you tell if this is in the paint or surface filler only, or do you see broken fibers? From the photos it looks more like the paint has cracked than any failure of the composite. Can you chip back some of the paint to get a better look?

If you coin tap around the crack does it sound dull or deadened, or does it sound the same as other areas of the prop?
Old 01-27-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
So my thought on this is I wonder if Sensenich ever tested th prop on this engine with electronic ignition. There is some evidence that the power pulses on with EI are sharper than with mags, and can (or could) cause issues with props. This might be evidence of that.

Please keep the community informed on what you find out.

Paul
I had the same thought around 2:00 am this morning. It will definitely be a subject of discussion and I'll keep everyone informed.
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 01-27-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJohnson View Post
Can you tell if this is in the paint or surface filler only, or do you see broken fibers? From the photos it looks more like the paint has cracked than any failure of the composite. Can you chip back some of the paint to get a better look?

If you coin tap around the crack does it sound dull or deadened, or does it sound the same as other areas of the prop?
I thought about digging around the area a little, but didn't want to touch it so that Sensenich would have it as is for investigation. I don't want any discussion about how I made a bad situation worse
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 01-27-2019, 07:32 AM

Default Thanks for the heads up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dickens View Post
I thought about digging around the area a little, but didn't want to touch it so that Sensenich would have it as is for investigation. I don't want any discussion about how I made a bad situation worse
Thanks for posting, kinda scary. It shows that nearly anything can still happen at low hours. I have 70hr so will be checking my Hartzell composite closer.

BTW Hartzell has a short video on how to tap test a composite prop. Maybe not applicable to yours but might be interesting to see if it yields any indication other than what you have found. A "self training' tap-test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZTDL41cUJA time:5:16 There is a better one but did not find it.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Instrument Currency 12-17-18
Old 01-27-2019, 08:17 AM

Default Thank you

Mark,
Thank you for posting this. If you are religious man and pray often, then you know they were answered in some way by you finding this before your next flight.
I'm not sure if you are aware of the hot water that Sensenich was under less than a ago by the FAA - If you are not, this will explain part of it. I'm not sure if that has any connection with how your prop was built, but that happened in the certified market. Personally I know that the guy that I sold my Cessna 310 to had to buy 2 new McCauley Props to the tune of almost $40K because of the shotty work that Sensenich did when I sent my props to them to overhaul. I sold my plane shortly after the overhaul and on the 3rd annual under the new owner they found cracks in both props. Unfortunately, Sensenich would not take responsibility because it was 3 years so it ended up costing the new owner some $38K plus labor. Later he found out that he was not the only one and that there were multiple cases of failure from Sensenich which I believe is why it got the FAA's attention.

I don't know all the details around the FAA getting involved and don't want to assume anything, but I would look into it especially if Sensenich does not take responsibility of this issue.

Good luck sir.
Supporting VAF since the first visit