What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding a G5 .. Anyone used this punch?

I've used the punch a couple times and it works well. Not specifically for the G-5, but it shouldn't matter. There is also a hole pattern template to help get the mounting holes in the correct location; not needed for the G-5, I don't think.

I watched a video and it looks painless but my panel is already painted and my main worry is whether or not it will damage the surface on the painted side.

There's overhang from the instrument around the edges of the hole size. Even if you marred the paint a bit, I think it would be covered by the face of the G5.

I spoke with ATS, nice people. The tech said to just reverse it so the cutting edge is on the paint side.

Sounds like it's going to work! I'm going to test on scrap.

Thanks for the feedback :D

Why not something like this and save a few $$. I've used before on sheet metal with great results.

https://www.amazon.com/MIBRO-460271-Adjustable-Circle-Cutter/dp/B001C00ZRK

41cd1c1e-769a-431f-be66-cb316b5fcbbb._SR285,285_.jpg

The punch works great but I did not use it on an already painted surface. The G5 comes with a special mounting bracket that mounts on the back side of the panel and uses the standard mounting hole locations. The G5 unit itself fits through the standard size hole and attaches to the rear-mounted bracket with a single self contained screw and locator pin. The front face of the G5 will hide any panel/paint scratches left by the punch.

The G5 can be "rear mounted" with an optional Garmin bracket, but I mounted mine from the front surface.

I used this punch a couple of weeks ago to install an EI Commander. Our panel was hydrodipped simulated carbon fiber. I protected a large area around the hole with masking tape, but was surprised at how much of the hydrodip was damaged by the process.

Fortunately, the instrument covered all of the damaged finish on the main part of the panel. The finish came off completely on one edge when I (carefully) removed the masking tape. It was 3M painters tape and wasn't on the panel more than an hour.

So if you have a hydrodip finish, be careful!

In my previous life I used to work in a military electronic industry facility and manufacturing big radar consoles for control towers etc. Every once in a while a last minute engineering change appeared requiring extra holes for cable bundles on the rear of the cabinets which were already painted and partially assembled. Put some protection on the painted surface, place the die at the back and punch at front so that the die (female) won’t mar the painting. Punch (male) is meant to sheer the perimeter while buckling the center sections. Works good. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back