- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2020, 10:37 AM

Default RV-10 Quick Build Wings Starting Point

Just received the QB Wings and completed the inventory. Reading through the plans and it looks like the plans for the QB pick up at section 19 Stall warning system. Is this correct or am I overlooking something? The wings are an area where "decisions" will start having to be made. Any gotchas or "I wish I had done this" comments are appreciated. Also the two small guide hole for the stall tab slot....what do you do with the same two holes on the other wing without the tab?? Thanks
Old 02-14-2020, 10:53 AM

Yes, section 19 sounds correct. I'd still encourage you to review the previous sections already done and make sure nothing was missed.
I came up with a list of what I found incorrect, or not done yet from previous sections here:
https://adamsrv10.wordpress.com/2017...wing-progress/

Others probably have similar lists..

I don't recall holes in the wing without the stall tab.. Guess I'd have to go look at my wings to recall for sure.
RV10 - #41687
http://adamsrv10.wordpress.com
N810AB Reserved
Old 02-14-2020, 10:53 AM

I believe you need to go through all the chapters to verify that nothing got missed, but yea I think the QB specific items begin at chapter 19.
RV10 - #41778
Empennage - Done (for now)
Wings - Done (for now)
Fuselage - in progress
Finish Kit - on order
RV10builder.com
KVKX / KHEF
Old 02-14-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
Just received the QB Wings and completed the inventory. Reading through the plans and it looks like the plans for the QB pick up at section 19 Stall warning system. Is this correct or am I overlooking something? The wings are an area where "decisions" will start having to be made. Any gotchas or "I wish I had done this" comments are appreciated. Also the two small guide hole for the stall tab slot....what do you do with the same two holes on the other wing without the tab?? Thanks
I ended filling the holes in with micro and sanding them smooth, since I was going to use the Garmin AOA pitot tube. The stall warning would have been redundant and I wasn't thrilled about the hole in the leading edge.

Definitely start at the beginning of the wing build in the drawings to verify the Quick Build though. It will be good background for the subsequent steps.

Larry Anderson
Indianapolis
RV-Super 8 N88XT SOLD
RV-10 QB N38LA Flying
Helicopter Instructor Pilot
Standardization I.P.
Instrument Examiner
U.S. Army Retired
EMS Pilot for LifeLine
At IU Health Retired :-)
Although Exempt,
Donated for 2020
Old 02-14-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawkSP View Post
Definitely start at the beginning of the wing build in the drawings to verify the Quick Build though. It will be good background for the subsequent steps.
This advice is correct and important for two reasons. When you go through the verification process...

1. You will understand and purposefully look at everything in the airplane you are building and will get the repairman's certificate for, and

2. You will have personally-verified and developed first-hand knowledge that everything is completed, verified and correct. In the end, you are going to be the one to sign your name that the airplane is ready to go, so you need to know first-hand that this is the case.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Hillsboro, OR (EAA 105)

Old 02-14-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
Yes, section 19 sounds correct. I'd still encourage you to review the previous sections already done and make sure nothing was missed.
I came up with a list of what I found incorrect, or not done yet from previous sections here:
https://adamsrv10.wordpress.com/2017...wing-progress/

Others probably have similar lists..

I don't recall holes in the wing without the stall tab.. Guess I'd have to go look at my wings to recall for sure.
This looks pretty dang close to what I found on my QB kit. Lots of individual decisions to be made here. I plan on filling my stall warning holes with flox.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:36 PM

Van’s had service bulletin SB 16-03-28 on the wings aileron bracket. I chose to install the new replacement brackets before closing the wing up.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:49 PM

I received my QB wings just a few weeks after the service bulletin came out on the aileron brackets. Van's had already installed the SB brackets on my QB wings just before shipping them. So if your wings were shipped from Van's in the past couple of years this SB should already have been implemented.

Regarding the holes in the leading edge for the stall warning sensor, the plans call for you to fill these with a rivet in the opposite wing. So if you are not using their stall warning system due to installation of a more modern AOA system, you will need to fill the holes in both wings. After consulting with Van's builder support, I reluctantly decided not to try to fill he holes with epoxy, but to remove the fuel tanks and install the rivets per the plans. Turned out to not be as difficult as I expected. Only took about 2 hrs per wing to remove the tank, install the rivets, and replace the tank.

Cheers,

RV-10 Fuselage Moved to Airport Sept 15th for Finishing.
2020 VAF Dues Paid

Last edited by DRMA : 02-14-2020 at 08:51 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 02-14-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by togaflyer View Post
Vanís had service bulletin SB 16-03-28 on the wings aileron bracket. I chose to install the new replacement brackets before closing the wing up.
+1

This would be much less fun if the bottom skins were on.

Larry
Old 02-19-2020, 10:31 PM

Default Quick build wings

I finished my 7 slow build and am considering a 10 quick build so this thread is very interesting.

How is the fuel tank quality?

How is the flush rivet quality?

Did you cut holes for Duct Works landing lights?

What kind of fuel level indicator? Capacitance? BNC connector?

Are flop tubes an option?

Are AN fittings for fuel, vent and return lines well positioned?

Thanks for any info that is helpful in making decision to buy quick build wings or not.
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn