Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2020, 09:32 AM

I'm flying DCS - Digital Combat Simulator. Hoping that all my A-10 practice gets me ready for the RV-10. After all, a -10 is a -10, right?

https://eaabuilderslog.org/showmy.ph...MG_0399.JP.jpg

RV-10 construction underway -- https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7ZSwfzr2g
N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated through 12/31/2020, EAA and AOPA member

Last edited by AlpineYoda : 02-13-2020 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old 02-13-2020, 12:24 PM

I use Prepar3D. Like you, I use it to pre-fly my cross country trips to become familiar with the area. You need to to get photo realistic scenery and accurate terrain mesh to get the full experience.

Like others mentioned, if you can wait for MSFS2020 you would have all this built in, but that's 3 to 6 months away.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:09 PM

Default I think so...

...but it's beyond my nerd-level. X-Plane 11, which I got recently while waiting for MSFS2020, does come with a 172 that has an "X-Plane 530" which seems to mimic a Garmin 530 fairly well. Still investigating that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernliving View Post
Can you customize panels in any of these sims to add your equipment?
2020 Dues Paid
Old 02-13-2020, 01:20 PM

Default DCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineYoda View Post
I'm flying DCS - Digital Combat Simulator. Hoping that all my A-10 practice gets me ready for the RV-10. After all, a -10 is a -10, right?

https://eaabuilderslog.org/showmy.ph...MG_0399.JP.jpg
Nice rig! I recommend giving VR goggles a try. I'm using DCS World with Oculus Rift and it's impressive. You need a really powerful everything, but with the right equipment it's so close to real flying I sometimes forget I'm in a sim.

I mainly fly taildraggers in the sim since my goal is to stay fresh on the rudder skills. There is a lot of variance! I find the Spitfire is the hardest, P51 pretty easy, same with the Christen Eagle II.

Also, engine failure at X00 feet to see if you can get back to the runway is interesting.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernliving View Post
Can you customize panels in any of these sims to add your equipment?
X-Plane = Yes.

Have changed my panel on several of the free down loadable models. Usually you have to use what is available, unless you know how to create your own.

With X-Plane you can design and create your own aircraft, using the included "planemaker", and plot your own airfoils etc..

Mike
UTC -09:00 Alaska

Last edited by mbauer : 02-13-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:08 PM

Wow, my internet is slow. I just started downloading the demo of X-Plane 11 and it said it was going to take 7 hours then a minute later now says 4 hours
RV-8 N52VM: Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Wow, my internet is slow. I just started downloading the demo of X-Plane 11 and it said it was going to take 7 hours then a minute later now says 4 hours
Since you have an RV-8, try this RV-8 Sim for X-Plane 11 by AOA Simulations:

https://store.x-plane.org/search_adv...%20Simulations

And you can spin it:

(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 02-13-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Since you have an RV-8, try this RV-8 Sim for X-Plane 11 by AoA Simulations:

https://store.x-plane.org/search_adv...%20Simulations

And you can spin it:

I remember when it came out and you told me about them. I'm going to buy a computer just for the SIM because I used to have one running my entire ELITE SYSTEMS from Orlando, Florida https://flyelite.com/basic-atd/ but the computer got stolen. Now I just have the pedals, avionics panel, yoke, throttle quadrant, but no computer. I'm going to see if it's all compatible with current X-Plane or MS software, if not I'll have to talk with them to see how much it'll cost to get a copy of theirs again to set this all up.

The Eilte software is more expensive than X-Plane or MS and it's not as pretty or realistic looking or graphics intensive, but it's FAA certified as a Basic ATD so I can train people and the hours count so it's probably worth it.

Right now I'm just downloading the X-Plane demo to see how it runs on my Mac Pro and see what I'll need to upgrade later on the stand alone SIM computer if I go that route.
RV-8 N52VM: Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.

Last edited by Pilot135pd : 02-13-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:08 AM

Default Question for the knowledgeable simmers....

I'd love to more-or-less replicate my RV-9A on X-Plane so that I could use it for practicing instrument procedures--obviously without being able to log the time.

The realism of the aircraft's handling doesn't really concern me, because I don't think I'll ever get that right.

I'm more concerned about simulating an aircraft doing RV-9ish speeds with avionics as close to my GRT Horizon EX and a Garmin 430W as possible.

Any recommendations? Right now I've been flying the 172 that comes with X-Plane 11 and it's not bad, but I'm guessing there is something closer out there.
2020 Dues Paid
Old 02-14-2020, 04:04 PM

Flew the mentioned RV8 last night on X-Plane 11. Super detailed. I'm in the process of building a 7, so this at least gets me the emp and wings of my plane....

I really enjoyed flying this at OSH and Lake Powell. Have three screens and some peripherals with a seat and 5.1 surround. Turn the bass way up to get the engine rumble feeling in the seat. The avionics very much follow Garmin of different types. Provides some learning opportunities for sure.
2019 VAF SUPPORTER

Last edited by SeanB : 02-14-2020 at 04:14 PM.