- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Nice rig! I recommend giving VR goggles a try. I'm using DCS World with Oculus Rift and it's impressive. You need a really powerful everything, but with the right equipment it's so close to real flying I sometimes forget I'm in a sim.

I mainly fly taildraggers in the sim since my goal is to stay fresh on the rudder skills. There is a lot of variance! I find the Spitfire is the hardest, P51 pretty easy, same with the Christen Eagle II.

Also, engine failure at X00 feet to see if you can get back to the runway is interesting.
Thanks! It's a homebuilt PC to go along with my homebuilt plane. Recently upgraded the video card from 2 cards down to a single Nvidia 2060 that can drive all 5 monitors. 3 hard drives, 2 solid state drives. 32GB of RAM. i7 processor. Thrustmaster HOTAS, Saitek pedals, and (you can't see it) but a simulator chair, too, with 2 12-plug USB strips hidden below it to power everything. 1600w power supply and a case with enough fans it could double as a wind tunnel.

The monitors are 27 inch, 30 inch, and 27 inch. Used to be 3 x 27, but one died about 9 months ago and I upgraded to a 30. Will do all three at 30 when I need to. The frame is 2 inch PVC pipe, held together by small set screws in each joint so I can take it apart to move it or to change it (like when I enlarged the monitor - had to splice in new pipe an inch or two longer).

The 2 MFDs are 8 inch USB screens I found on eBay mounted to the back of a sheet of aluminum with holes cut out to fit the viewable area, with Thrustmaster Cougars mounted on the front.

Configuring everything to work in concert, especially lining up the Cougars with the USB monitors, probably took as long as I expect my RV-10 avionics install will take. No one could make me a pre-cut panel to my spec for this build.

Thankfully, DCS has some pretty powerful configuration abilities. I was able to program my own configuration files in Notepad++ after much trial and error.

RV-10 construction underway -- https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7ZSwfzr2g
N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated through 12/31/2020, EAA and AOPA member
Old 02-18-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineYoda View Post
Thanks! It's a homebuilt PC to go along with my homebuilt plane. Recently upgraded the video card from 2 cards down to a single Nvidia 2060 that can drive all 5 monitors. 3 hard drives, 2 solid state drives. 32GB of RAM. i7 processor. Thrustmaster HOTAS, Saitek pedals, and (you can't see it) but a simulator chair, too, with 2 12-plug USB strips hidden below it to power everything. 1600w power supply and a case with enough fans it could double as a wind tunnel.

The monitors are 27 inch, 30 inch, and 27 inch. Used to be 3 x 27, but one died about 9 months ago and I upgraded to a 30. Will do all three at 30 when I need to. The frame is 2 inch PVC pipe, held together by small set screws in each joint so I can take it apart to move it or to change it (like when I enlarged the monitor - had to splice in new pipe an inch or two longer).

The 2 MFDs are 8 inch USB screens I found on eBay mounted to the back of a sheet of aluminum with holes cut out to fit the viewable area, with Thrustmaster Cougars mounted on the front.

Configuring everything to work in concert, especially lining up the Cougars with the USB monitors, probably took as long as I expect my RV-10 avionics install will take. No one could make me a pre-cut panel to my spec for this build.

Thankfully, DCS has some pretty powerful configuration abilities. I was able to program my own configuration files in Notepad++ after much trial and error.
Mike - I sent you a PM
Old 02-18-2020, 11:14 PM

Default DCS config

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineYoda View Post

I think there is a business opportunity for someone to write a decent config tool for DCS - this was/is the most frustrating part of using this software.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard Lips View Post
Mike - I sent you a PM
Joe, are you into sims and have experience setting them up? I'm on the fence about setting up an MS or X-Plane sim or setting up a certified one. I noticed you live pretty close to me.
RV-8 N52VM: Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.