VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-14-2018, 05:54 AM

Congratulations on deciding on a RV-14. I've just started the RV-14 Empennage myself, currently finishing up the rudder.

I've decided to go with the Sherwin Williams P60G2 primer. It can be a bit tricky until you learn how to apply it properly, but it goes on nice, is amazingly durable and looks nice. I'm applying a very light coat and only areas that have metal to metal contact (rib to skin). Good luck ....
RV-14A #140356
East Aurora, NY
Old 09-14-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
A reasonably safe/less messy option is to brush or roll on the Sherwin Williams "wash primer" that Van's uses in the quickbuilds (P60G2 I think).
I'm using Sherwin Williams wash primer on my 10. I like it a lot! I haven't tried brushing or rolling, I spray mine. Here's why it's been great for me:
1. Self etching - Just clean parts with acetone and spray!. No need to manually etch, which is a HUGE time saver. Self etching was the key for my choice to use this product over some others.
2. Easy to spray, very forgiving.
3. Tough as nails. Once fully cured (about 24 hours) it can be dimpled.
4. Fast drying. Takes about 3 minutes to dry to touch. I usually let set 24 hours before riveting (to let it fully cure) but can be handled very quickly. Great for when I have a lot of parts to do at once and can't fit them all on rack at same time.

Here's a link to their Product Data Sheet:
https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPD...S&prodno=P60G2
Flying Mooney M20J
Emp Kit Completed, Section 29 done, Tail Cone Attached, QB Wings delivered and stored for now.
Dues Happily Paid 2018
Old 09-14-2018, 09:49 AM

+! on Duplicolor rattle can for internal priming. If you can wait and prime post dimpling, etc then I love the can. The only hard part is while its dry to the touch in 5 minutes the waiting the 3 days for it to properly harden seems like a patience test.
RV-14 #140394
Empennage - done
Wings - Under construction
YouTube Build Channel
Old 09-14-2018, 11:36 AM

Default P60G2

+1 on P60G2.
Prep is key. Surface must be clean and free of aluminum oxide. Water break surface.
Lots of ways to do it but I used Bon Ami and scotchbrite.
If you have to spray indoors, build a spray booth and vent the fumes outside. I used shower curtains hung from conduits placed on garage door frame. It was quick to set up and take down. A bilge blower hooked to a dryer vent hose vented fumes out through an exterior wall mounted dryer vent.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:55 PM

I have used both rattle cans and Stewart Systems. I am very happy with Stewart Systems. It was much easier than I thought it would be. Adhesion ad durability are very good. Cleanup is a snap. And the environmental benefits are great. Follow the directions and you will see good results!
RV-14A Empennage Kit #140396
=========================================
Old 09-18-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs View Post
Thanks guys for the input on priming. Still, I'm no further ahead on a decision. I may just order a can of Stewart's system and compare with a rattle can. I have access to some professional aircraft maintenance people who work on airliners. May seek their opinion. My own experience is moving my old 30 year old piper 180 from Regina Sask. to Boca Raton FL and watching the interior skin get a "whitish" coating on it within a year of leaving it on the ramp in Pompano.
The transport category aircraft makers use different variants of two-part epoxy primers that contain chromates. Same for the overhaul and repair stations. Akzo-Nobel is a big player in this market, but other manufacturers make similar products. They use slightly different formulations for different areas (e.g. interior vs. exterior prime), but the EAB market has no need for such segmentation. I think a chromate based primer is going to be the best performer, but it carries potentially significant health hazards if you don't have the proper protective equipment.
RV-14A Kit#140433, N393AJ Reserved
Completed: Vertical Stab/Horizontal Stab
Scrapped: Rudder
Working on: Empennage (Elevator)
Construction log - mykitlog.com/ajackson
Dues paid on 10 October 2018
Member of EAA Chapter 92 (KCNO)
Pet peeve: "Lose" is the opposite of "find". "Loose" means "not tight".
Old 09-19-2018, 12:46 PM

Hmmm, I think based on the discussion I may go with P60G2. Just exactly how toxic is this stuff if I use a small booth made from carboard and vent it using a fan to the outside. Is it flammable around an electric fan or heater?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:44 PM

+1 for the Stewarts primer. I liked the fact that it was waterborne and had no nasty solvents, especially if I wanted to use it in the basement. I didn't have to worry about my furnace or water heater shutting off or worse. Another nice feature is because it comes in a quart can I can stir it up and use it straight out of the can with a foam brush. Great for small spur of the moment parts and jobs or touch ups.
2018 dues paid
Old 09-20-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs View Post
Hmmm, I think based on the discussion I may go with P60G2. Just exactly how toxic is this stuff if I use a small booth made from carboard and vent it using a fan to the outside. Is it flammable around an electric fan or heater?
Here's a link to data sheet. Not sure how to interpret VOC number???

https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPD...S&prodno=P60G2

As far as how flammable, not really sure. I spray mine outside. Since it drys so quickly, I can do so and not worry about too much foreign stuff getting in it.
Flying Mooney M20J
Emp Kit Completed, Section 29 done, Tail Cone Attached, QB Wings delivered and stored for now.
Dues Happily Paid 2018