- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-13-2018, 11:27 AM

Default one more opinion

for what it's worth;
Bad situation #1.
where you made your calls becomes irrelevant if he's not on frequency. I don't know how you confirm that he's heard you, other than by his actions, which weren't clear.
perhaps .....'Cessna in the run-up, what are your intentions???"

#2. a Cessna at 90 degrees to the runway is pretty blind UP in both directions. He would NOT have seen you on final unless he put his nose up on the dash. High-wing blind spots are worst on the ground.

my recent young instructor has added this mantra to my pre-takeoff or runway crossing; "...is it clear left? ( actually LOOK at the entire approach path!) Yes? ....is it clear right? ( actually LOOK and VERIFY !) when both answers are YES, crank a little S-turn left and right as you proceed, and check again.
RV drivers with the great vis are the exception to many high AND low wing cabin aircraft, with poor sightlines, especially out the far side.

My $.02
Lake Country, BC

....paid up til Nov. 2018
Old 10-01-2018, 03:48 PM

Head on a swivel.

A couple weeks ago at a non-towered airport a fellow aircraft did everything wrong and this was while on frequency.
Long story short the aircraft flew directly through the departing runway airspace. Wrong side to enter pattern. Wrong altitude. Wrong location. Unannounced.

WE WERE in communication. That is to say he announced his intent to land on the active runway 5 and 10 miles out. I radioed my departure before taking the active runway for a straight out departure. At the time the other aircraft was still quite aways out. Everything good. Smooth take-off. Another call announcing my departure and heading then the other aircraft flew directly in front of me BELOW pattern altitude.

Luckily I was able to see and avoid but wow!!!

The only thing I can figure is he was announcing but not listening and that given the airport has little traffic that perhaps he just assumed there was nobody else there?

Great learning experiences eh. Also nice that Van's are so nimble.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:11 PM

the reason see and avoid works as well as it does, judging by how few mid air collisions we see, is that there are at least two sets of eyeballs looking. the thing I always try to keep in mind is even if the other guy is technically not (following the right pattern, right of way, or other rule or suggestion) it is still my responsibility not to hit him just as much as its his responsibility not to hit me.

In the OPs case, you saw him the entire way around the pattern, you knew where he was and you avoided him; the system worked. Was he wrong, technically yes as you had right of way as aircraft on final. However, he thought he was doing everything correctly too; possibly even looking down final and not seeing you. Things I personally do differently, that may have prevented this "close call":
1) I respond to every CTAF call that isn't obviously a response to my standard call, in other words I would have quickly responded when he said he was backtaxing and/or departing "RV half mile final Runway XX at Somewheresville". I do this even if I have been making calls around the pattern, as this shows it's not a given the other guy is on frequency unless he responds directly to you.
2) If there is an aircraft waiting at the hold short/run up area, I always land past the numbers where he would pull out. If he does decide to pull out when I'm flaring I should land safely past him and hopefully he can see the airplane that is on the runway in front of him.
FLYING!!! as of 7/22/10
Build Log