Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 11:59 AM

Saw the same story this AM on Northwest Cable News. Other than the mis-identification of the model, it seemed to be a nice story. Good to see some positive aviation news.
Redmond, WA
Old 05-24-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Grimstad View Post
I am a group member building an RV12 at the EAA105 hanger, Twin Oaks. It is fun to watch your progress and estimate our schedule. I am interested in the set up that you used for getting the Team Flight program established. Age of the students, how many, selection and qualifing process and how funding the cost worked out. What are the plans for the airplane when it is completed. Will it be maintained for the flight training of the student builders? How tough would it be to get another group started on a similar project in say Bend. Thanks, Paul Grimstad
Paul,
Thanks for your interest. I think most of your questions are answered in the first post of this thread, but I will hit on a couple that my not be.

This is a program where a few people with an interest in doing a project like this got together and made it happen. Someone took care of contacting people or foundations with aviation interests, which have the financial means to fund a project like this. All of the funding was donations made to a non profit organization that we operate the program under.
We have a desire to make it possible for the teens to at least take a flight in the airplane they built. The bigger dream is to provide them with some primary flight training in it. We are still working on the process to make that happen. The long-term goal would be to advance the program to the point where a second airplane could be funded. Some of the (now experienced) teens from the first session would act as mentors for the second session in exchange for flight training using the airplane they helped build (this would require some additional funding but I think we could acquire that). When the second airplane was completed, the first one could be sold, with the proceeds paying for a third kit and some flight training for the second session teens. From this point on the program could conceivably be self sustaining for as long as kids and mentors that want to participate, could be found.

We hope that there will be other teen flight projects in other parts of the country or around the world. The thought of a whole bunch of RV-12's being built by teens with the help of experienced RV builders and EAA chapter members is very exciting to me. It has the potential to be a shot in the arm for general aviation and flying for fun (in the context of helping to develop the next generation of pilots), and possibly aviation as a whole a number of the current teen flight participants have already decided on careers in aero engineering, aviation mechanics, missionary pilot, etc.

Personally, I think every person active in any phase of general aviation should be doing something to engage young people towards in interest in aviation. We have to be honest...flying just for the pure fun of flying is dying. It is still long from being dead, but it is dyeing a long slow death none the less. If something isn't done to turn the trend around, their will be a time in the future when general aviation is not big enough to battle the government bureaucracy that keeps trying to knock it down, nor will the industry be big enough to sustain the businesses and manufacturers that make flying for fun possible. The airlines and the military will own the skies just like in many other parts of the world already. You don’t need to do something with a whole group of kids to make a difference. Consider just mentoring one of the neighborhood kids. Invite them over to your shop and let them work on simple parts. I guarantee that when they someday get a chance to take a ride in your plane with the knowledge that they help with some of the parts, it will have a huge impact on their life. If all of us did this with just one kid some time during build of our RV project, I think it would have measurable impact on general aviation in the future.
It would be really cool if sometime in the future their was a massively long sticky thread here on VAF dedicated just to photos of all of the different kids involved in RV build projects (without even asking I know Doug would be on it in a heart beat)

Any way…got a little off track…sorry…

So the answer to your last question...we hope people will want to do a similar program where they live. I am currently working on a curriculum package that we hope to make available to anyone that has an interest in doing a similar program. It will have a bunch of info about how we structured our program and lesson and project plans for doing all of the initial training. It will eventually have a promotional DVD that can be shown to EAA chapters and other groups while building the volunteer mentor team, and show to potential donors to demonstrate that it has already been done successfully.

The goal is that with this package, some volunteers, and some donors to fund the program, anyone with a desire to make a similar program like this happen, can.

Stay tuned….

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCharlieBravo View Post
King 5 news (NBC) here in the Seattle area did a news piece on Teen Flight last night on at 11PM. Good story, although they referred to the plane the kids were building as an R7. I wrote them a thank-you and correction.
Arnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
Saw the same story this AM on Northwest Cable News. Other than the mis-identification of the model, it seemed to be a nice story. Good to see some positive aviation news.
Thanks for posting this info.

Yea, I don't knwo how "RV-7" and "Van's Aviation" got into the story (it was not info I provided) but we are happy to get the exposure anyway.

It is nice to see that we are getting wider exposure than just our local station.

I would like to hear from anyone else that sees the program run on other affiliate stations around the country.
Thanks

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 06-11-2010, 12:40 PM

The Teen Flight blog has been brought up to date.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 08-16-2010, 08:03 PM

I own some hangars in Southern Oregon, I think I could free one up and build something like this with local teenagers, is there some specific information I can get on how to set up the non-profit, and what are the pros/cons of doing an LLC instead? I wouldn't mind coming up there and seeing what you're doing if you're open for a nickel tour sometime. I can PM you with an e-mail address, if needed.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclecameron View Post
I own some hangars in Southern Oregon, I think I could free one up and build something like this with local teenagers, is there some specific information I can get on how to set up the non-profit, and what are the pros/cons of doing an LLC instead? I wouldn't mind coming up there and seeing what you're doing if you're open for a nickel tour sometime. I can PM you with an e-mail address, if needed.
Hi Cameron,
This is exactly what we are hoping will happen as a result of us doing this first pilot program....that others will have an interest in doing the same.
I have completed some work on a curriculum package that we hope to be able to provide at little or no cost to people or groups that are interested. It will outline how we ran our program from initial planning and fund raising to powerpoint presentations and other documentation that can be used for all of the work projects and training lectures. I don't yet know when this will be available.

The actual program could be organized a number of different ways, but setting up a non profit is a good way to go if you intend to solicit donations to fund the project because it then makes donations contributions tax deductible.

Setting up a visit after we get going again in September shouldn't be a problem.

If you are still interested, PM me your contact info and I get in touch.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 10-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Teen Flight is once again making progress on the RV-12 build project.
Check Here for the (mostly) updated info.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 10-15-2010, 10:52 AM

The Teen Flight blog site (located here) has been brought up to date, and some new photos have been added.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 11-13-2010, 09:25 AM

The Teen Flight blog site (located here) has once again been brought up to date, and some new photos have been added.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 11-13-2010, 09:56 AM

Looks like a fantastic project for them to be involved with.

But having recently had 5 teenagers under one roof, who could rarely agree on anything, I am curious about something....

How is the final paint job going to be decided?

Happy to be a 2012 and 2013 VAF supporter