VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-29-2020, 11:01 AM

Default Window install on RV 10

I’m just getting ready to install Cee Bailey windows on my RV 10 with Lord 7545A/E adhesive and need a little help on what cleaner to use after scuffing the plexiglass. I know not to use acetone, benzene and all the other items listed in chapter 5 of the plans. Can I use denatured alcohol or is it best to just use isopropyl? Any better options?
Old 05-29-2020, 11:36 PM

Was just about to do the same, when saw many builders follow this method:
https://youtu.be/A336SG-fsiI

Just FYI, if you weren't aware or considered it.
Cabin top installed, doors completed!
Wings almost done

Blog:
https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=4X-ODU
2020 VAF Dues Paid!
Old Today, 08:59 AM

We are getting close to transparencies. The video series is incredibly useful in thinking through the window installations.

It appears some have used SilPruf on Vans RVs from several years back. Are there any results on flying airplanes people are aware of or willing to share?
RV10 - #41047 (second builder)
Finish Kit - working
Old Today, 01:42 PM

I installed my windows (also Cee Bailey) the Sportsman 2+2 method as show on the video. The installation is completely different compared to the more traditional “glass in” method.
The glass in method has that Lancair composite look vs the Cirus window look. Note the difference b/t the Cirus and the -10/Sportsman window install, the flange on the Cirus windows are installed from the inside, we install ours on the outside. First you should decide what look you like the best, then do it. Either way it is time consuming. What I like about this install is that you eliminate any potential stress cracking that sometimes occurs with the glass in method. The window is easier to replace if you need to remove it down the road, and for me on my plane, I liked to look more then the glass in looked. If you go the Sportsman install watch that five part series a couple time and take good notes so you have something to refer back to while doing the actual work. Use Silprof, (for this type of install) nothing else.