- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > GPS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2016, 08:54 AM

Thank you..I will do so.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:15 PM

I just picked up my new area 660 from my local dealer. Nice unit. I need to charge the battery tonight. But I did notice that the Pilots Guide is not included. I guess Garmin wants me to download and print out the 200+ page document.

They did include five different Quick Start Manuals, each in a different language, each about 6 pages in length.
flying
Old 04-05-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelf View Post
I just picked up my new area 660 from my local dealer. Nice unit. I need to charge the battery tonight. But I did notice that the Pilots Guide is not included. I guess Garmin wants me to download and print out the 200+ page document.

They did include five different Quick Start Manuals, each in a different language, each about 6 pages in length.
I think the reason there aren't paper manuals is because most people keep digital copies of these manuals on an iPad or smartphone or something like that. That way, when a new revision comes out, it's quick, easy, and free to replace. And there are so many manuals for so many pieces of avionics, that would weigh a ton if you kept all that printed in the plane.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:23 PM

I'm almost dumbfounded to see that Garmin has released this sunlight readable, very capable portable (which is just the right size for my small cockpit) at such a reasonable price - considering what I'm used to seeing when it comes to their aviation products.

AND they released recently the EFIS that fits in a standard panel hole and also very capable - even moreso perhaps - AND sunlight readable, for only $1200 list. I bought a Dynon D2 just for a ferry flight in January and paid almost that much for a lower quality, less capable instrument. So good on you Garmin!

Just for giggles, I went to Gulf Coast to see what a GDL-39 3D costs and wasn't surprised to find it costs about the same as the new Area 660 but Garmin being Garmin, was taken aback a bit in seeing that if you want a DC power cable to connect it to ship's power, it costs $65. Really, Garmin? $65 for a couple wires with connectors on one end and maybe (or maybe not) an in-line fuse? What's it made out of, pure platinum?

Nevermind . . . just wanted to rant a little. I live in the Experimental world for the most part and have to admit I've never owned anything with the name Garmin on it. Nothing against Garmin - I just enjoy being thrifty. I've always managed to find navigation solutions that did the same thing (or more) and cost a lot less, until now. This new sunlight-readable 660 will be my first product from them. I'm pretty much amazed.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:13 PM

Default Aera 660 Navigation

Steve,

Playing around with the 660 in flight and it is a really nice unit. Can't believe how bright it is compared to my old 296. Easy to use & flying to Nav points doesn't prove to be a problem but I can't find a way to type in airway routes

Ex- LIT J180 SWB etc....

I can put it individual Nav points but how do I put in an airway? No problem in the Foreflight or Garmin Pilot Apps but I want to link up the 660 to the EZ Pilot autopilot and have it all match the filed flight plan.

On another note- I opened the box and put the 660 on a charger for about 12 hours. The battery was only showing about 3/4 full. Do I need a full 24 hours on the first battery use?

So far I'm really liking this thing,
Oly
"Sure is nice to have smart friends"
2018 dues paid

Last edited by olyolson : 04-08-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
I had a chance to fly with the new Aera 660 today and I also like it. It is replacing my Garmin GPSMAP 496 (which I'll put up for sale on VAF once I get the ad written).

Yesterday when I received the unit I was able to update the databases with the one-time free upgrade coupon Garmin includes in the box. Updating all the databases via Wi-Fi was a little slow, and I attribute that to Garmin's server load and possibly the size of certain databases (totally subjective observation).

However, I noticed that there was a operating system S/W update (V2.40) released on April 5th. You must connect the unit to a computer using the supplied Garmin data cable to accomplish this update via Garmin's WebUpdater program. I tried to do the update on my iMac and MacBook Air, both running the latest versions of OS X El Capitan (v10.11.4). Neither machine recognized the Aera 660, even when I did a Safe Boot and tried again. I also tried different USB ports, and also a USB 2.0 hub. No joy. I also tried to update the Aera 660 using my iMac running Windows 7 via Parallels, and the 660 was again not recognized.

I know Garmin has been having trouble with Apple's USB connection recently (and I know Apple is not totally blameless since there have been issues recently with certain USB devices), but I was hoping that would all be resolved by now.

Garmin, I'd appreciate any help or tips you can offer. Thx.

Hello Carl,

Yes, we just released new software this week with some new features and improvements.

Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:
  • Add flight plan transfer support via Connext
  • Add IFR/VFR charts selector map for Wi-Fi downloads
  • General improvements to system operation
What you say above about having to connect a cable to update the aera 660 is incorrect. If you go to the aera 660 software download page, you will see that there are four choices to update the software on the aera 660.

The first choice is for "Other Operating Systems" and is a simple .zip file software download with instructions to create a software SD card for your aera 660. Your Mac should be able to download a .zip file and copy the software to an SD card which can be inserted into the aera 660 to update the software.

You will click on the Download button which will download a .zip file to your computer. Open this file and you will see that it contains a folder named Garmin. Copy/extract the Garmin folder (which contains a single file named gupdate.gcd) to the root directory of a micro SD card as explained in the provided instructions (and shown below).

To update the software in your Garmin Aera 660, perform the following steps:

1. Insert a FAT32-formatted micro SD card with at least 20 MB of free space into your card reader.

2. Copy the "Garmin" folder to the top level (root directory) of the SD card.

3. Safely eject the SD card.

4. Apply power to your Aera 660.

5. Insert the SD card containing the software update. You will be prompted to confirm before the update is installed.

6. During the software update, the display will indicate 'Loading'. Do not remove power during the update process.

Let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Steve,

Thanks for the information and describing the alternate method of updating the unit's software via an SD card. I'll try it this weekend. Appreciate the quick response!

Do you have any insight as to why the iMac or MacBook Air running El Capitan cannot see the 660 when connected by the data cable and using the WebUpdater method?
Hi Carl,

Sorry, never used a Mac (but we have customer support folks who do), but one thing I thought of when reading your post is that you never mention that you told the aera 600 it was ok to talk to your computer.

The aera 660 doesn't immediately enter what we call "mass storage mode" and communicate with a computer (of any kind) when you connect a USB cable.

You must answer the prompt and tell the aera 660 that it is ok for it to leave normal operation and enter this mode before it will communicate with any connected computer.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:32 PM

I'm a bit unclear about WiFi connectivity - will the Aero go out to the internet and grab updated wx (if you're in a place with WiFi?) Can you file a FP, or get preferred routes via WiFi? These would be the final pieces to get me to buy this device. We flew back from Sun and Fun with one, and it sure was pretty.

I currently use Garmin Pilot (iPhone 6+,) and I like it - but the display washes out in the RV8 greenhouse. I purchased Armorglas at the show hoping that would help, but yesterday using the phone in sunlight was not encouraging... I also have a Nexus 7 which is better but not ideal, plus the Android version of GP is behind compared to the iOS version.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
The aera 660 supports an interface to a GDL 39 3D using either a highly reliable RS-232 connection, or Bluetooth.
I would like to purchase a 660 and GDL 39 3D. Which cable do I need order or does it come with one? I was looking at the GDL on AS and I don't see an option for the 660.

Also, do both include a power cable? I would like to have them powered from the aircraft and not rely on battery.
1952 Cessna 170B
1947 Aeronca Chief
Old 04-12-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
I would like to purchase a 660 and GDL 39 3D. Which cable do I need order or does it come with one? I was looking at the GDL on AS and I don't see an option for the 660.

Also, do both include a power cable? I would like to have them powered from the aircraft and not rely on battery.
Hello Nippaero,

Good plan. Some of us don't want anything in the plane powered on batteries unless we lose the alternator!

To connect your aera 660 to a GDL 39 or a GDL 39 3D and power them both from a cigarette lighter adapter, you would need this cable.

You could also use a bare wire mount/cable like described in the original posting. You would also need the bare wire cable for the GDL 39 if you go this route. This is how I have installed the aera 660 with GDL 39 installed in my plane. The second serial port brought out by this cable is connected to a G5 with autopilot.

I found all three of these cables for sale on the ACS website.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve