What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FF 1201 cracked/Pitot tube lose

mcems

Well Known Member
This is just a heads up guys to check for this.

My FF 1201 (plastic block holding pitot tube in place mounted on the back of the gearbox)) was full of cracks that look to be simple deterioration from 10 years and 1000 hours of use.

It would not hold the pitot tube in place any more. I just machined a new one from aluminum instead of plastic . I used the old one for a pattern and made it exactly the same.

I think this would only apply to the older higher time RV 12s

Brad Stiefvater
Salem SD
124bj first costumer built RV 12 to be airworthied and fly
maiden flight 9-20-2009

Mine split down the middle along the screw thread. I replaced it earlier this year at approx 400TT. I think it was over-torqued. Replaced with same P/N plastic from Van's.

Did this cause any leaks to the pitot system? I think I have a pitot leak, my IAS seems to be 10kts low, I have a standby ASI and it is also low...my RV12 is a 2010 with about 280 hours...I will have to take a look at this.

In my case no leaks. Split plastic holder allowed the pitot tube to rotate. I investigated when I was slipping pitot cover on and noticed the pitot tube had rotated 90 degrees.

I did not build this aircraft and don't have the plans, is it difficult to remove and replace the block if its broken?

Very easy. Just unscrew pitot(after removing the tube to the ASI) from the block and remove 2 bolts holding block and replace . Then just screw the pitot back in and tighten set screw.

Brad

Back