What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel tank specs

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
hi all,
i am looking for some general rules to follow.
for simplicity say the fuel tank is 36'' wide, 12'' high and 12'' fore to aft. 2 baffles make 3 compartments, each about a foot square. floor of tank slopes down forward about 8 deg. when longerons are level. max. fuel burn at w.o.t for 110 hp about 10 gph.criuse burn 5.5 gph.
to allow fuel to fuel to flow to engine i am thinking 3- 3/8'' holes at the bottom of each baffle.one full forward, another an inch aft of that and the 3rd at the aft edge.
for venting the same set up but the holes would be at the top edge of the baffles.
for fuel flow thru tank while refueling i really don't know. maybe 2 in each baffle, 8'' above the floor of the tank? i won't even guess at their size.

so.........am i close, right on, or way out in left field? i would like some advice from someone who has been there.
thanks for any input.

Need more info. Is this an aux fuel tank? Is it gravity feed or pumped? Is it pumped to engine or to another tank?

Bevan

The tanks in the single digit RV's have a ~1" dia hole in the bottom aft corner (low point) of each rib. They also have ~1" dia holes near the center of the ribs (I'm guessing those are for ease of filling the tank quickly). Much smaller holes at the top of the ribs for venting between cells.

If I were building the tank, I'd go to at least 1/2" or 3/4" for the holes along the bottom, consider the 3/8" top 'vent' holes more than adequate, and add one at least 3/4" dia in the middle for filling.

But I'm no fluids engineer; I just copy what works....

Charlie

General disclaimer:I'm an EE, never had to take fluids, thank god. But it depends on purpose of tank. Aerobatic? Aux cruise? Primary? The holes not only have to allow transfers from bay to bay, reduce sloshing, reduce unporting, but they also have to allow for filling of the tank. If you use small holes you risk not transferring enough for normal fuel flow, to big and you could get sloshing and unporting. I would use at least 3/4 inches at the low point of the baffle for normal flow, 1 to 1 1/2 in the middle for filling and 3/8 or so in top to vent.

Those are just guesstimates but should work.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

this will be the main tank. fuel is pumped to the engine at 30-35 gph and most is returned to the tank to the sump mounted in the floor of the tank. no aerobatics.
sounds like 3 1/2'' holes along the bottom and a couple 1'' holes in the baffle for refueling would work. yea, 3/8 on top for venting.
thanks guys

Back