What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air oil separator

Has any one tried the oil separator that vans sells?
Does it work well

Thanks
Dan carley

I bought the inexpensive one that ACS sells. 7 hours on the new engine and so far, so good. I have more oil in the catch can than I have on the belly and I am sure I have more blow by than normal, being in the break in. I have some oil on the belly, but it looks more like drops than large streaks.

Larry

I have one of Allan's units and it works well. Just be sure to search for threads regarding the reed valve. I cut a whistle slot in the discharge tubing. Read the threads, you'll understand.

Has any one tried the oil separator that vans sells?
Does it work well

Thanks
Dan carley

The one van's sells is reported to be a variation on the same basic design that Tony Bingelis produced. It's a known-good approach, so it'd be hard to go wrong with it.

Alternatively, if you have access to either a lathe or TIG welder it's reasonably easy to fabricate your own as well.

I can't recall the exact circumstance of the incident but there was an entire thread on it. A while back there was an incident where the skilled pilot of a beautiful RV8 was clobbered with a forced landing due to an oil separator that had clogged so poorly (if i remember correct) that it created so much excessive oil pressure it blew the front crank seal out of the engine. This blinded him as the windscreen was nothing but a black streak. I recall him landing by means of synthetic vision.

I know oil separators are nice but after reading that thread at this point, its off my list. Id rather wipe the belly down occasionally then worry about this.

DISCLAIMER- i dont recall the EXACT circumstance of that incident so i may flat out be talking nonsense :D

The exact circumstance of that forced landing was that the seperator was being used with the reed valve feeding the separator output into the exhaust. at the point of entry, the tube was coking up and plugging up the outlet. Pressure built up and the front seal blew. Happened twice to my understanding.

If you do not plumb the separator outlet into the exhaust there is no concern (or at least no problems to date that have been reported here).

Folks like me that don't want the oil are doing one of a couple of things. 1, install an additional reed valve in the outlet tube exhausting to atmosphere as a back up, or 2, cutting a whistle slot in the outlet tubing.

No further incidences have been reported here to my knowledge.

All of that said, I do get a little coking, but not much. I clean it out each time I have the lower cowling off. I only have 100 hours on mine so far though.

Do yourself a favor and look up the thread.

The exact circumstance of that forced landing was that the seperator was being used with the reed valve feeding the separator output into the exhaust. at the point of entry, the tube was coking up and plugging up the outlet. Pressure built up and the front seal blew. Happened twice to my understanding.

If you do not plumb the separator outlet into the exhaust there is no concern (or at least no problems to date that have been reported here).

Folks like me that don't want the oil are doing one of a couple of things. 1, install an additional reed valve in the outlet tube exhausting to atmosphere as a back up, or 2, cutting a whistle slot in the outlet tubing.

No further incidences have been reported here to my knowledge.

All of that said, I do get a little coking, but not much. I clean it out each time I have the lower cowling off. I only have 100 hours on mine so far though.

Do yourself a favor and look up the thread.

As i said i did not recall the exact circumstances i just happen to recall the thread.
In my humble opinion the airplane already has a major list of systems to keep an eye on and think about during inspections and preflights. If i can eliminate one item of the list of stuff i have to think about by simply buying a few extra quarts of oils year and wiping off the airplane once in a while then so be it. There are lots of other things to be concerned about and adding yet another device (simple or complex but just another device) is not my idea of efficient at least at this point in my life. Then again, i don't even like electric trim so that shows you where i am at in the scheme of things :D
Anyways, sorry to change the subject! How is that vans unit ay?

Last edited:
I use the Antisplat

Oil separator, and it works well ---- However, IMHO, I would not use the reed valve attached to the exhaust ----- unneeded complication and another potential problem area. (again, IMHO).

R.

Just installed Anti Splat Aero's air/oil separator on my rv10 and have flown several flights with a clean belly! Easy to install, great customer service, used a coupon I received in the mail for a great price and even threw in a free cap! My only concern was that my 540 had a 1" breather and the separator uses 3/4" connectors. I used my standard 1" line out of the engine and cut a 1" long, 3/4" diameter hose to go over the separator input and the 1" diiameter line fit directly over the 3/4" piece. Changed the 1" aluminum tube vans supplied to a 3/4" to complete the output line. Installed a hole in the aluminum tube just in case tube ices up.

Just installed Anti Splat Aero's air/oil separator on my rv10 and have flown several flights with a clean belly! Easy to install, great customer service, used a coupon I received in the mail for a great price and even threw in a free cap! My only concern was that my 540 had a 1" breather and the separator uses 3/4" connectors. I used my standard 1" line out of the engine and cut a 1" long, 3/4" diameter hose to go over the separator input and the 1" diiameter line fit directly over the 3/4" piece. Changed the 1" aluminum tube vans supplied to a 3/4" to complete the output line. Installed a hole in the aluminum tube just in case tube ices up.

.....Hi Ken, sorry to here you ran into this little issue. The install kit we offer for your separator installation includes all hoses, clamps, brackets and fittings. It also has a new fitting that replaces the factory Lycoming breather outlet fitting in the top of the accessory case. Perhaps this wasn't properly explained to you when you placed your order as it would have saved you a bit of work and smoothed the installation process. We are pleased to see you satisfied with the product and hope you enjoy it. Thanks, Allan...:D

Back