What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Member From Colorado

boandrv7a

Hey Guy's - Been lurking around for a while... Love the forums and decided to join.

I fly a Bonanza and an RV-7a (currently being repaired because of a nose gear failure and prop-strike :mad:).

Love the commentary on this site!

Jim

The AV8R's

Welcome to VAF!

Hey Guy's - Been lurking around for a while... Love the forums and decided to join.

I fly a Bonanza and an RV-7a (currently being repaired because of a nose gear failure and prop-strike :mad:).

Jim

The AV8R's

Jim, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

E-mail group

If you're not an EAA 301 member, you should be. ;)

Like Mike said.
There's also an e-mail group. Not associated with 301 but very useful when you have a problem of just feel like taking. Send me an e-mail or PM to get included.

Welcome aboard! I saw your video on your nose gear collapse which made me wonder if the bolt sheared. The holes need to be reamed to a tight tolerance 0.311 or too much slop can shear the bolt over time. Just food for thought on the root cause. Looking forward to seeing it fixed and flying again.

nose gear failure

looked at the video of nose gear. If the leg did not twist 180 degrees, it appears that the nose gear stop flange is installed backwards. Could this be your smoking gun?

I'll take a bunch of pictures of it and post them. The A&P said everything looked installed correctly. I dunno! It's one of those things where you never really know what happened.

Edit: I'm going to video the entire rebuild process (including the engine).

Jim

Last edited:
looked at the video of nose gear. If the leg did not twist 180 degrees, it appears that the nose gear stop flange is installed backwards. Could this be your smoking gun?

You called it. It is backward.

Jim,

I should first say welcome to the group/family! Here is a crop of the nose wheel stop in the plans.

From drawing C1.

LeqNA9Oh.jpg

I took a closer look at the video and it is backwards, no doubt. There is a Service Bulletin out on that by Vans. SERVICE BULLETIN 14-12-22 Go to the Van site to look at this and how yours is installed.

I took a closer look at the video and it is backwards, no doubt. There is a Service Bulletin out on that by Vans. SERVICE BULLETIN 14-12-22 Go to the Van site to look at this and how yours is installed.

Geez - Sure looks like it! :mad: I'll take a detailed look tomorrow when I am out there!!!

This place is already paying dividends!!!

Thanks!

Jim

Jim

The AV8R's

Did the nose gear failure happen about a month ago at KFTG?

Back