What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV inspired airplane break up

Staunch111

Well Known Member
Can anyone refer me to the NTSB link for the in-flight breakup of RV-6-CH, N424D in 2012? I'm particularly interested in how much the plane varied from the original RV6 design. Thanks!

Last edited:
Search here and you'll find a thread about it. In short, the aircraft in question was *not* an RV-6. It was designed and built independently from Van's design, and while the structure is similar, it is not the same as an RV-6.

As Bob mentioned, definitely not an RV-6. It happened to be parked on the ramp here at Albany one day. I noticed that it looked like an RV-6, but something was just a little off. Being the curious type, I walked over to take a closer look.

I'm very familiar with the interior structure of an RV-6, and this one was very different inside. The layout of the structural members was similar, but I doubt many if any of the parts would be interchangeable with an RV-6.

Thanks for the link. I was hoping that a final report had been released. Guess not. I had read via the forums that there were significant differences w.r.t fuselage and canopy widths. It was suggested the kit was built from plans with many of the parts not coming from VANS. Given that it was built prior to match hole technology, it was suggsted that 2 levels of build error can potentially be built into the plane, since greater reliance was placed on the jigs.

Any chance one of the Moderators would consider changing the title of the thread? Casual readers might assume the worst. :(

Inflight Breakup of Homebuilt RV "Lookalike", or something else?

Any chance one of the Moderators would consider changing the title of the thread? Casual readers might assume the worst. :(

Inflight Breakup of Homebuilt RV "Lookalike", or something else?

So there is no confusion

The experimental aircraft that crashed Monday afternoon near Crabtree killing two men ?was not built from one of our RV-6 kits,? said Gus Funnell, who provides support for builders at the airplane?s kit manufacturing plant in Aurora.

?It possibly could have come from some plans we had a while ago, but this plane was a highly modified version of the RV-6,? he said Wednesday. ?When you compare the plane that crashed to our standard, there are a number of differences.?
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2012/11/mcdaniel-rv-6-ch-n424d-was-not-built.html

So there is no confusion

The experimental aircraft that crashed Monday afternoon near Crabtree killing two men ?was not built from one of our RV-6 kits,? said Gus Funnell, who provides support for builders at the airplane?s kit manufacturing plant in Aurora.

?It possibly could have come from some plans we had a while ago, but this plane was a highly modified version of the RV-6,? he said Wednesday. ?When you compare the plane that crashed to our standard, there are a number of differences.?
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2012/11/mcdaniel-rv-6-ch-n424d-was-not-built.html

Gus also stated that "This is an RV-6 in name only."

Back