What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to cover this step hole?

Vlad

Well Known Member
Today I found this hole on RV8 fuse. Does anybody have tips and tricks how to cover it? I want the patch look nice.

Vlad,

I cut out a piece of Aluminum and patched it. I also used "proseal" to insure no water would infiltrate it.

If memory serves me right the Flap fairing covers it up.

Vlad,

I cut out a piece of Aluminum and patched it. I also used "proseal" to insure no water would infiltrate it.

If memory serves me right the Flap fairing covers it up.

Ha! I don't have plans with me so that hole was there? For taildragger? :confused:

Hole

The Flap fairing covers it completely . The flap fairings make no sense until you fit the wings and flaps . Can email you some photos , one 666 to another .

-8 step hole cover

Here is how I plugged mine. There has been some threads suggesting that the hole be left open since the flap fairing covers it. To me that leaves a place for air intrusion. Notice the blue mark where I expected the fairing to land. Stay outside of that line.

I just cut a circle of .025, curved it until it fit nicely inside. Made it a bout 1/4" larger than the opening and prosealed it in place. No rivets, super easy, after a few days it's nicely stuck in place.

There will be no test.

It has been a few years now from when I saw this on a test, but. The answer should be in "AC-41.13". If you go buy it, you will be covered.
Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

Here is how I plugged mine. There has been some threads suggesting that the hole be left open since the flap fairing covers it. To me that leaves a place for air intrusion. Notice the blue mark where I expected the fairing to land. Stay outside of that line.

That is exactly what I did too...

Put a landing light in there Vlad........ that way you can see where you are going when you're doing a ground loop at night!

Back