What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540-K1A5D?

Husker'87

I have a line on a IO-540-K1A5D (300 HP) engine. It is a great deal and I am just starting my build. Is there anyone that is using this in their RV-10? I have seen that there may be a issue with the cowl fitting. Just wanted to put a feeler out there to see if it would even work or is it too much trouble. I will be doing some research as well, but I thought I would start with the experts. :D

Thanks,
John

That engine is roughly an inch wider and 60 pounds heavier than the engine Van's spec's for the airplane. I don't know how the extra width would work, but the weight would reduce your useful load and might result in a very forward CG.

Here's a chart that might help you compare O-540's:

http://www.lycoming.com/Lycoming/PRODUCTS/Engines/Certified/540Series/EngineData.aspx

I could put some counter weight in the tail to off set the forward CG if needed, it shouldn't have to be much since it is so far from the datum plane. That can be taken into account during the build. The 540-D and 540-K take the same engine mount, does this mean that the height for the prop would line up the same? What modifications would need to be done because it is about an inch wider?

Thanks,
John

Weight in Tail :(

Be careful adding weight in the tail to offset heavier engines. It will adversely affect flight characteristics. Yes it might balance, but there is an inertia moment to be dealt with.

Vic

Think about mods...

I have found that even simple mods take up tons of time...

Consider that before you make the major mod you are proposing...

I have found that even simple mods take up tons of time...

Consider that before you make the major mod you are proposing...

That is why I am asking the question. I don't really want to make the mod, but when there is an opportunity to get a deal such as this, it is hard to pass up. I would much rather stay with tried and true, but saving lots of $$$$ makes it tempting.

You would also have the baffles to deal with. I am
Sure you could make it work, but it would take a lot of time and delay the finish of your project. It is also a consideration for resale. More power is not always better if the kit designer says it will go too fast. I think the biggest issue would be CG, but the time commitment would also be a big deal.

You haven't specified much about this good deal engine. Honestly, I'm not feeling it. I suppose if it were a really good deal you could swap it to an engine builder for something lighter. When you turn from a parallel 540 you start rapidly getting into diminishing returns. Payload, range, money, etc.

IO-540-K1A5D

I just bought a C model that I will send away to be rebuilt into a D model. If you are buying the K model from Art on BARNSTORMERS, I spent a lot of time looking into that core as well. When he removed the wing on his plane he dropped the nose and it hit the ground so hard that it bent the prop in half. Not sure about the US rules but that requires a disassembly in Canada. So buyer be ware, there are no good deals when it comes to your safety.

Andy

The K1A5D is also a Large main angle valve and will weigh quite abit more than a IO540C or D parallel valve.

Jesse

The weight difference is roughly 60 lbs. The engine is from a family friend, it has less than 300 hours on it and I can get it at less than 1/4 of the price of a new one including a Hartzell 2-blade CS prop, all log books included. It takes the same mount as the D, the length (front to back) is the same, but it is ~1 inch wider and ~2 inches shorter (top to bottom). It also comes with the fuel injection system.

John

60 extra pounds on the nose of an airplane like a -10 is a HUGE difference and will be felt for the rest of the airplane's service life. That's assuming you somehow can move components to the rear to offset the C/G change. If you have to do the unthinkable and add 10 pounds of lead to the tail... well, that adds up to a bunch of utility forever gone from your airplane.

Heck, I spent a great deal of effort removing about SIX pounds off the nose of the -8 and was pretty proud of myself for accomplishing that much.

If the engine is a great deal, then grab it. Just convert it to a more suitable engine with the magic of cash or some horsetrading. That engine has value for plenty of airframes... the -10 just isn't at the top of that list.

What, specifically, needs to be changed to convert a 'C' to a 'D'. I am planning to use a C4B5 'as is' and have been told there will be no issues with that plan.

C to D

Bob

C4b5 to D4a5

I've just been through this process. There is very little difference. The main 1 being the smaller hole engine mounts + No hydraulic pump drive.
According to the parts manual the oil dip stick + mag harness may be different but that is of no consequence. The fuel injection controller is listed as different but we checked and the scheduling seems to be the same.
All rotating parts and counterweights are identical.
So with only a few changes you should be good to go. You can set the governor to 2700 rpm and get 10 more horsepower.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
The K1A5D is also a Large main angle valve and will weigh quite abit more than a IO540C or D parallel valve.

Jesse
Not to mention that for overhaul, angle valve cylinders cost almost double the price of parallel valve cylinders, and there are no aftermarket cylinders.

Back