What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introducing the RV-14

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
14splash.jpg

Front page VAF, front page Van's site, front page Van's FB page.

V/r,
dr

Awesome - a cross between the 7 (aerobatic), 9 (cruiser) and 10 (roomy)!

I can't wait to see one~

Bob

Seems to be a Frankentstein of sorts. Some of the better attributes from each model.

A shout-out to Steve Smith (scsmith on this forum) for the airfoil design. It worked so well on the RV-10 that Vans used it on the -14.

As a -6 builder/driver, this new RV-14 really gets me excited to build again! From the outside, I'm sure it looks to the uninitiated like kind of the same thing as the previous 2-seaters but really it's genius. This design addresses so many of the limitations I've found in operating my RV-6. 2050# gross weight! That's a 450# increase over the original RV-6! That by itself makes the 14 a huge advancement to me. Still aerobatic at 1900#! I really did not expect the 14 to be anything that I'd be interested in, but I think Van has really nailed it with this one.

Last edited:
The Videos

Hello, I'm deployed overseas right now and have a terrible time with streaming video. Is there anywhere I can go to download them? I'm very excited. These deployments got in the way of working on the -7 tail. There must be a reason for everything. Time to order some -14 wings!

Hello, I'm deployed overseas right now and have a terrible time with streaming video. Is there anywhere I can go to download them? I'm very excited. These deployments got in the way of working on the -7 tail. There must be a reason for everything. Time to order some -14 wings!

Kobwo, if you pm me your email I'll see if I can get the videos compressed and smaller-sized for you. :)

Cheers,

-Adam

I love it. I wish it was introduced some 6 years ago. This machine would make Bermuda and Hawaii weekends possible for me and landing gear is perfect for Vanuatu dirt strips. The cross country winner is designed...

So, this third generation (or is it fourth?) RV 6 has a nose wheel, but no "A" designation.

They mention a tail wheel model is in the works-----------what are they going to call it???

Last edited:
It's a 2012 RV7-A

It's kinda what happened to the 6 when it turned into the 7.

It's progress, which I think is good, it is a really nice aeroplane, works well, looks well, but ......................

It's got a wheel on the front, which, unfortunately seems to be the Vans future and I do hope it isn't because of Elfen Safety liability problems.

Sure, I am biased - I wouldn't build a nosewheel aeroplane, because many times I operate out of grass strips that are - er - agricultural. A bit like what Van started out on many, many years ago.

I would predict the 7 will stop production, the 8 will be the last tailwheel and all will be safe.

Nothing wrong with that, but think ahead to a post Van era.

Say, Pop, when you built your RV, why did it have a little wheel at the back ?

Because it was fun son - because it was fun :D:D

"It's got a wheel on the front, which, unfortunately seems to be the Vans future and I do hope it isn't because of Elfen Safety liability problems."

They said there WILL be a tailwheel version in the near future

I love it. I wish it was introduced some 6 years ago. This machine would make Bermuda and Hawaii weekends possible for me and landing gear is perfect for Vanuatu dirt strips. The cross country winner is designed...

Vlad,
By the time all the RV-14 kits are available, your -9A will be worn out and it will be time to upgrade anyway ;)

Vlad,
By the time all the RV-14 kits are available, your -9A will be worn out and it will be time to upgrade anyway ;)

Robert I forgot to run my calculator and there is no online estimator as of now. Very well could be out of my price range :D Lovely machine anyway.

Not able to down load specs.

What engine is recommended? Speed, range, time to build? Flush rivets? More details please.

:D

[ed. Specs that we have for now..... dr]
fy1puv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Van's web site

I have been trying to access Vans website to see what they have there about the new aircraft. However I only get a message saying the site is not responding.

Is anyone else having a problem with the website?

Jim

Update: Forget the question above, the problem has been resolved.

Last edited:
For cost issues, and the possible upcoming 180hp/no medical issue - What are the installation differences between a 180 hp 360 and the 200 hp 390? And - is Vans going to accommodate that?

I'm curious what Van's response is on this issue...

NUTS!

You gotta be kidding me. I'm this close to finishing the -7A and now they come out with something even better?????? My wife is gonna kill me when I tell her that the current project is now obsolete. The -14 looks like the perfect plane, and they say the canopy is easier to build.
Gotta love Van's innovation and desire to always improve, but I don't know how much more improvement my bank account can take :D

I like it...

I'm building an RV-7 and I like the concept of the RV-14. I especially like the larger cabin space and improved visibility. These are my two perceived shortcomings of the RV-7.

I also like the improved (RV-10-derived) nosewheel design (the main reason I built an RV-7 versus an RV-7A).

The "easier to build" canopy design is intriguing, as is the modular wiring design and engine baffle system. I am concerned that the new design would end up beyond my budget (especially with the angle valve engine), but that is yet to be seen.

However, while I like it, I really don't NEED the larger cabin (I'm about 165 lbs wet) and the RV-7 performance numbers appear to be better for my mission. I would appreciate the increased range.

So I'm not feeling like The RV-14 will make my RV-7 obsolete:rolleyes:. In fact, It may just make the future value of my RV-7 higher due to the potential of fewer total RV-7's built in lieuw of the RV-14, especially if the 180 HP medical limit is ever finalized.

Overall, I like it...

Last edited:
I'm interested to know if Vans is going to approve of a range of engines for the RV-14 like they do for the RV-9. For example, they flew the prototype 9 with a 125 HP O-235 but designed it for up to a 160 HP O-360.

So I wonder if the RV-14 we saw today, with the IO-390, is at the upper end...hopefully the plane would also perform well with a 180HP O-360 and fixed pitch prop.

Also wondered why if they will have a taildragger option, why they won't have a slider option...is there something unique about the forward fuselage that precludes it?

Overall though it sure is a nice looking design!

14A

So, this third generation (or is it fourth?) RV 6 has a nose wheel, but no "A" designation.

They mention a tail wheel model is in the works-----------what are they going to call it???

The 14 will become the 14A and the conventional gear model will become the 14. Van did this with the 9.

The RV-14 looks cool!
I hope they bring the kit improvements i.e prewired bundles and avionics kits to the 7-9

Last edited:
Also wondered why if they will have a taildragger option, why they won't have a slider option...is there something unique about the forward fuselage that precludes it?

The canopy has a jettison. In the walk-around video they show a handle that'll basically eject the thing off the airplane.

Last edited:
The canopy has a jettison. In the walk-around video they show a handle that'll basically eject the thing off the airplane.

The 6/7/9 series has that option although many do not build it into their plane during construction.
The 14 does seem to be a little more "user friendly".

Watching the Walk-Through Video here were the highlights I picked up on:
  • Canopy can be jettisoned
  • Aux input on the center armrest along with 12v DC
  • Audio out for camera near pilot headset
  • Molex disconnect on the stick
  • Removable step
  • RV-10 flap and wingtip
  • New style fuel cap with lock
  • External wing attach bolts
  • Wiring harness included for all electronics
  • Molex disconnect for wing wiring harness
  • Cowl baffles precut because the engine is currently standard - possible rubber seals as well
  • Muffler on the exhaust
  • Pre-punched hole for 2nd com antenna

Here's the Flying Scotsman's List Reformatted
Code:
                       RV-7A      RV-9A      RV-14A
Light
Top Speed	       208	 197	    205
Cruise (75% @ 8000’)   198	 189	    195
Cruise (55% @8000’)    178        169        172
Stall Speed            51         44         56
Takeoff Distance (ft)  275        300        525
Landing Distance (ft)  350        300        545
Rate of Climb (ft/min) 2100       2000       1800
Ceiling (ft)           23,000     24,500     26,000
Range (75% @ 8000’)                          938
Range (55% @ 8000’)                          1103
Gross
Top Speed              207        196        203
Cruise (75% @ 8000’)   197        188        193
Cruise (55% @8000’)    177        168        169
Takeoff Distance (ft)  575        475        630
Landing Distance (ft)  350        450        715
Rate of Climb (ft/min) 1600       1400       1500
Ceiling (ft)           19500      19000      18,000+
Range (75% @ 8000’)                          925
Range (55% @ 8000’)                          1080
Specs
Span                   25'        28'        27’
Length                 20' 4"     20' 5"     21’ 1”
Height                 7' 10"     6'         8’ 2”
Wing Area (sq.ft.)     121        124        126.1
Engine (hp)            180        160        210
Gross weight (lbs)     1800       1750       2050
Wing Loading (gross)   14.8       14.1       16.25
Power Loading (gross)  10         10.9       9.76
Empty Weight (lbs)     1077       1015       1240
Propeller                                    Hartzell c/s			
Fuel Capacity (US gal) 42         36         50
Baggage (lbs)          100        75         100
(useful load)          723        735        810

Watching the Walk-Through Video here were the highlights I picked up on:
  • Canopy can be jettisoned
  • Aux input on the center armrest along with 12v DC
  • Audio out for camera near pilot headset
  • Molex disconnect on the stick
  • Removable step
  • RV-10 flap and wingtip
  • New style fuel cap with lock
  • External wing attach bolts
  • Wiring harness included for all electronics
  • Molex disconnect for wing wiring harness
  • Cowl baffles precut because the engine is currently standard - possible rubber seals as well
  • Muffler on the exhaust
  • Pre-punched hole for 2nd com antenna

I think the ailerons are swapable with the ten but the flaps are shorter than the ten's.

Bob

Excuse me, but, I don't get it.
An improvement over the 7?
Longer wing, more fuel capacity, bigger engine, slower cruise, higher stall.

Is this a 9 upgrade as the 6 was to the 7?

Help me understand it.
Maybe I missed it because it's late.

Last edited:

Help me understand it.

If you were a "Bubba" (like me), it might make sense to you. Wider, taller, more comfortable for big guys, and maybe even easier to get in and out of. It is 2.5"-3" wider, and about 2" more legroom. Should make a real difference for somebody like me! :rolleyes:

JMO, and my dos centavos. :)

Last edited:

Yep got that...just like they already have on the 7 & 9 tip up canopies. Question remains what is unique about the design that precludes having a slider option?

I also just noticed in that video that with the new leaf spring main gear design there is no longer a support structure for each gear leg protruding into the cabin.

Smaller version of RV-10?

Help me understand it.

I've been thinking of it from the perspective of an evolution of the 2-seat RVs - but maybe it makes mores sense to think of it as a smaller, more affordable version of the RV-10? If you don't need 4 seats, but you want a comfortable cruiser like the -10, maybe it would be your machine.

I'm laying here in my tent in HBC after a day full of RV's. It was awesome!!

I was 15 feet away when the -14 rolled to a stop and shutdown. Here's my first impression......I didn't even see it:)

There was so much speculation on what the new RV was going to be. Was it a UFO? My buddy and I coined it the UFRV:)

I said to the guy next to me, "Where's the new plane?" He said," Right there in front of you, it says 14 on the tail."

I thought it was a -10 truth be told. It's pretty big and after I found out the specs, I wasn't sure what the "mission" statement of the plane was. Who is the target market? That engine ain't cheap, so who's this RV suited for?

I went on a mission. I was 40 feet away from the RV-1, Mr. RV himself, Paul Dye, Louise, Rosie.... all the Patron Saints, so I figured this was the place to get my answer:)

To make a long mission short, I was told, by an American, that Americans are not getting smaller. I guess because of sedintary lifestyles, technology, affluence etc... We all is getting Bigger:) As a Canadian I found this amusing.

This plane was designed and built to accommodate those folks who think the other models are too tight, yet don't want to shell out the $$ for a -10.

I found out that it's been in the works from the time the -12 was being flight tested. I also learnt a bit about the RV-5 and what the deal is there.....but that's another story:)

Darren

I thought it was a -10 truth be told. It's pretty big and after I found out the specs, I wasn't sure what the "mission" statement of the plane was. Who is the target market? That engine ain't cheap, so who's this RV suited for?

I went on a mission. I was 40 feet away from the RV-1, Mr. RV himself, Paul Dye, Louise, Rosie.... all the Patron Saints, so I figured this was the place to get my answer:)

This plane was designed and built to accommodate those folks who think the other models are too tight, yet don't want to shell out the $$ for a -10.

You mean it was designed for the guys who, when we were kids, were called "husky"? :)

As an owner and flyer of a Thorp T-18, I understand the appeal!!
I weigh (currrently) 211 lbs, and have a tall body w/ short legs. I have to
"scrunch down" in the Thorp, and my head is pretty close to the canopy in my RV-8.
I'm a little alarmed by the level of completion offered in the RV-14x, I guess that is the wave of the future, but the whole ELSA 'BUILD IT LIKE WE TELL YA' might be carried over here?

I'm a little alarmed by the level of completion offered in the RV-14x, I guess that is the wave of the future, but the whole ELSA 'BUILD IT LIKE WE TELL YA' might be carried over here?

Van has been talking a lot about increased safety in EAB for quite a while now, and I wouldn't be surprised if part of the thinking behind the RV-14 is to encourage more standardisation and reliability, such as by offering plug and play connectivity for a few popular avionics systems. Not to mention other benefits, such as reducing build times.

RV-14

The RV-14 looks like it will have a good market. Van's is in business to make profit. Seems like a good business decision.

There are many pilots that I have talked with, over the last 25 years, that love the RV concept of aircraft, but are too tall, or broad. Many of these people find the past RV's too tight These are the buyers that will likely let go of the cash to purchase a RV that will be comfortable to them. This is a market segment that Van's will get, for sure. I know some of these guys.

There will likely be future RV models to meet those other present and future general aviation markets, to stay profitable. The RV-14 appears to be an improvement as a step up to a user friendly first time kit. This will attract buyers too. People are busier as the years go by with technology.

I think this model will sell well to those that wanted a RV, a few inches bigger and one that will retain near the same basic performance of others.

Personally, I have a -7 and am content as it meets my mission very well.

So I am curious being I have the tail of a -9 in my basement.

I am 6'4" 230lbs. Is the 9 going to be like driving a Geo metro?

I do plan to visit Van's factory next week while I am in Seattle visiting family and can surely ask then. But from those flying a 7 or 9 are you uncomfortable enough to say ditch/sell your flying or project to upgrade?

The bigger engine, higher operating cost and build cost play somewhat a factor also.

With that said I think the -14 is a good option for Van's to offer not denying its a good option to fill in the nest.

upgrade the 7aA

HI
Hi really like the Rv-14 and all the concept and facility of construction. BUT the 7A meet better my need.

I don'T need all the room because i have a 10. I am building a rv-7A for the fun factor to fly around and the low fuel consumption and keep the 10 for cross-country. So i don't want the IO-390, i don't want to have more fuel burn for a little bit less performance and higher cost of construction.

If i only had one plane, i would take a RV-14.

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME UPGRADE ON THE 7A like the gear leg of the 14 that would not be in the cabin and the all sheet metal tip up canopy and the documentation also like the rv-10 and 12 step by step.

I really wish they will keep the RV-7.

Lan Vinh Do

How closely does the 14 resemble what customers have been asking for in the "What should Vans build next" thread? This sounds like a plane for customers with more mass and more money. The only appeal to me is the extended range.

Q & A with Ken Krueger

Naturally, he was swarmed the instant the prop stopped. Here's a summary of new features I noted, specifically targeted to alleviate the more historically difficult build issues and (I presume) speed completions:

> precut canopy - trimmed, big cut already done
> canopy frame all aluminum fabrication, no weldment
> canopy finish trim pre-formed aluminum, no fiberglass required, but optional
> longerons pre-formed
> prefabbed wiring harnesses (3 standard avionics configurations), installed during primary assembly
> wing attach outside fuse (like -10)
> all holes punched to final size

Probably much more detail available on some or all of the above regarding mods and options. This is just a quick skim.

OT: brutally hot & humid yesterday

How closely does the 14 resemble what customers have been asking for in the "What should Vans build next" thread? This sounds like a plane for customers with more mass and more money. The only appeal to me is the extended range.

Agreed. I just 'don't get it'. It's different, yet somewhat similar to existing models. As a manufacturer myself, I must always listen to the voice of the customer before spending a lot of money on new product development. Granted it's not the huge dollars Van's has to spend on their development, but I typically spend $10-15,000 on a new product, nonetheless. It's a gamble each time hoping the customer does indeed buy the product.

I suppose this is just positive proof that for a long time, the folks at Van's have had many-many requests for this type of plane, despite what was written in these forums about everyone's dream plane. Otherwise, I doubt they would have gone to such efforts. It will be interesting to see how it sells! BTW, I really like the paint scheme too!

My impressions

Flying my RV7 for about 100 hours, many of which were cross country with a passenger, I can say the RV14 has some appeal. At 6'2" 220lbs, the -7 is a tight but bearable fit (and I'm used to small cars - MINI, Subaru Impreza, Jeep TJ). I have hit my head on the canopy numerous times in turbulence with the seat belts cinched tight, and with another 180-200 pounder next to me, we are definitely shoulder to shoulder. The volume of cargo area in the -14 would also nice for two reasons: carrying my dogs, and carrying camping gear to Oshkosh.

I am a bit disappointed that the cruise speed isn't more significantly better, and that the widest part of of the cabin looks to be at about the thigh rather than at the shoulders. The cost of the IO-390 will probably also push the -14 out of my price range.

RV-14 Discussion with Ken Scott

Saw the RV-14 as they rolled it out yesterday. Just the airplane I have been waiting for as the RV-7 was too small for my 6'4" the RV-10 was too much investment. Ken Scott indicates he hopes they don't offer it as a taildragger. The airplane embodies everything they have learned from building all their airplanes and is very easy to put it together. Two amateurs built the wings in two weeks. Uses a clipped RV-10 wing. Cockpit is very roomy. Especially nice is the access to the panel for wiring. They will offer a full wiring, plug and play harness. Ken expects $85K will produce a finished aircraft.

RV-14(A)

You think It'll become known as "The Fat Man's RV-9". As we all know, the bigger the plane the more jack it's gonna cost. I'd guess, with all the "whistles and bells" we're looking at a $125K "Fat Man's RV-9"! Out of my price range for sure!!

Is Van suspicious or are we going to see an RV-13 someday?

Anyway, I look forward to the tailwheel version. My be is the -14 will eventually be the best seller.

Back