What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Salt Lake PIREPs?

jwyatt

Well Known Member
It looks like the weather is going to cooperate for a planned getaway to the Salt Lake area later this week, stopping off to see the eclipse on the way back, so now it's time to finalize the plans.

Hoping to spend first night in Moab area (spend the day in Arches), then up to Salt Lake. Any current intel on SLC or BTF as a better choice for a 2-night stay? There must be a convention in town as hotels in the downtown area are priced-up midweek. Looks so far like the best option may be to park & stay up near BTF and then Uber in/out of town each day.

Any must-see spots beyond the typical tourist stuff and museums?

Thanks!

Have a great trip.
I would go to BTF. It really isn't much farther than SLC to the city. SLC does have a light rail that goes into to town and there are a couple airport hotels. There is a nice Hampton in near BTF that we have stayed at when we visited grandkids.

Another thought would be to fly into Heber City - Midway and stay there. Drive into SLC or Park City. That would make a nice trip.

Have fun - Moab and Arches are really fun places to go. Rent a couple bikes and really have fun.

Gas prices in Heber City (36U) are little high $6.36 as of Aug 09. The current FBO has $$$ running in their veins as they like to cater to the Business Jets that service the Park City clientele. Not sure they are really GA friendly. I guess it is so bad that AOPA is stepping in and speaking with the City about getting the non-friendly situation to be a little more friendly.

I'm based in KBTF so a little bit more biased and I live just 5 mins from the airport. To bad I'm out of town on a trip, or I would show you the hospitality personally. Gas at KBTF is the cheapest around and yes the Hampton Inn or the Best Western are right near by. KBTF is located in Woods Cross, UT and is so close to Salt Lake City it is the best you can get without being there.

Mark
Actually I'll be in town 8/20 - 8/22 if you need anything please send me a PM.

Excellent, thanks for the info. Planning BTF, called the Hampton last night and got the airport discount rate of $99 instead of the advertised 149.

Mark, would be fun to meet up but we're planning to head out on the morning of the 20th ... I'll look you up next time!

Now to see if the weather breaks here in reasonable time tomorrow to get the trip done before dark.

I've been into Bountiful and South Valley a couple of times visiting our daughter who lives there going to Univ. of Utah. Bountiful is easy parking and cheap fuel, but departure can be a bit of a pain with all of the Class B airspace surrounding it. Getting in is no problem if you get flight following. You can call up the tower frequency as you depart if you need to cut through the Class B. They should clear you to stay over Interstate 15. We rented cars a couple of times through the FBO and the local Hertz and were happy with the service.

IMG_1877-M.jpg

Easiest way into out of KBTF is to stay on the EAST SIDE of I-15 (MAJOR N/S FREEWAY) and below the CLASS B. This works great for North, South or East Departures. If you need to go West, we usually take off, head north along the freeway below the CLASS B and then go around the top of the CLASS B and then turn West, over the Great Salt Lake to Antelope Island and on your way.

Catch you next time.

Back