Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-27-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
A really good experimental 170B already exists, it's called the glasair sportsman. The original or the 2+2. And they are popular. A four place with a load neither of them are though. The +2 part is 2 small children. Just like a 170.
No, the Sportsman is not an RV and it takes an IO-390 engine and a CS prop, both of which are stupid expensive. For the price of an IO-390, you might as well put in an IO-540.

Bush planes need to be dirt simple, preferably with a carb as they are easy to maintain in the bush.

That's why I stipulated any engine from 150 hp to 210 hp. Then those who want to put in an O-320 with a FP prop can do and so can those who put in an IO-390 and CS prop can do it, if they want.

The cost of entry for some of the new kits, while selling well, are leaving a lot of people behind. My fear is that Van's is going the way of LancAir.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 04-29-2020, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
No, the Sportsman is not an RV and it takes an IO-390 engine and a CS prop, both of which are stupid expensive. For the price of an IO-390, you might as well put in an IO-540.

Bush planes need to be dirt simple, preferably with a carb as they are easy to maintain in the bush.

That's why I stipulated any engine from 150 hp to 210 hp. Then those who want to put in an O-320 with a FP prop can do and so can those who put in an IO-390 and CS prop can do it, if they want.

The cost of entry for some of the new kits, while selling well, are leaving a lot of people behind. My fear is that Van's is going the way of LancAir.
I'm quite aware a sportsman is not an RV. That's what I called it a glasair. The original version took an O-320, the newer one takes a 320 360 or 390.
Mission wise, it's the same as a 170B though. Only a bit better. Not a 180 though. I'm just saying there's no reason to go make another plane with the same exact mission as a sportsman. It already exists and it's doing well.

And the easy to maintain a carb and mags in the bush is just a bunch of bs. I operate in the bush and if I need a carb or a mag overhauled literally no one stocks parts and they have to be ordered or the unit sent off. Even the local aircraft spruce has become pretty bad at stocking things. You're actually wildly more likely to be able to get a coil pack for an SDS system in an Alaskan village at the auto parts store then you are anything at all for a magneto. And you're not going to find anything for a carb or injection. You're just sol. Get the inreach out and have a buddy fly parts out. A fuel servo is no more difficult to swap then a carb.
Weather run you out of fuel and you had to land at a village strip? Well there's no 100LL at virtually any of them. Better be able to dial the timing back to run 87 or you'll be paying someone to ferry avgas to you.

Last edited by z987k : 04-29-2020 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:55 PM

Default STOL mentioned during Vanís webinar.

Anybody else notice how many times STOL was mentioned during the EAA webinar the other day with Vans Aircraft? Hmmmm
Old 05-22-2020, 06:14 AM

Maybe it's time for a Van's "Heavy Hauler"? 6 place seating or lots of capacity...

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/...eat-homebuilt/