Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-19-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
...If you are worried about dealing with the 430W you could opt to buy the SkyFX external WAAS source unit and mount it under your cowling on a shelf. That will work great with the Echo and you don't get into the 430W wire bundle. The cost between the SkyFX and hiring an avionics shop to do the 430W work might be a wash.
Or even finding one available with time to do it.
RV-8 N52VM: OnSpeed Gen2 AOA-3D, Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR & GPS496, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:10 AM

Default echoUAT Install

After removing my GNS530W and taking it to the avionics shop and paying them to do the software update required for the echo, having them make an antenna cable and put the pin on the RS232 wire, moving another antenna so they were 3' apart, I decided a tail beacon would have been the way to go. Since I already had the complete instrument panel torn up I went ahead and installed it. After 2 flights it passed. In hind site (I have also installed a wingtip unit) I would have bought the tail beacon unit which takes only a few minutes to install and probably would have passed on the first flight.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N220LS View Post
After removing my GNS530W and taking it to the avionics shop and paying them to do the software update required for the echo, having them make an antenna cable and put the pin on the RS232 wire, moving another antenna so they were 3' apart, I decided a tail beacon would have been the way to go. Since I already had the complete instrument panel torn up I went ahead and installed it. After 2 flights it passed. In hind site (I have also installed a wingtip unit) I would have bought the tail beacon unit which takes only a few minutes to install and probably would have passed on the first flight.
Just be careful with the tailbeacon because some people have their anti-collision light in the tail and if you remove it then you won't be able to fly at night. The tailbeacon has a light but not a strobe. Search the forums for lots of info on this.
RV-8 N52VM: OnSpeed Gen2 AOA-3D, Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR & GPS496, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Old 05-19-2020, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the help guys. It appears that the one of the 430 RS 232 outputs is already being used. Pin 56 on the 430 is being shared with a wire that was feeding a 396 cable that I am not going to be using using. I pulled a few harnesses out of the way to see everything. Is it acceptable to share an output between devices or do I need to use one of the other 430 RS 232 outputs? I think the other wire may go to one of the GRT display inputs.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:16 PM

Yes/no. One rs232 out may be split to several devices’ rs232-in’s. BUT everything so connected will get the same data, same format, same baud rate. It is highly unlikely that any other device can use the ‘ADSB+’ format needed for adsb-out devices, and vice versa.
I think you’re stuck running a new wire to an unused rs232-out pin.
And yes, if I had it to do over again, I’d have had Stein connect a short length of wire to every rs232 port, used at that time or not. It would have made adsb-out installation a snap for me.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:34 PM

Thanks Bob I bet you are correct the baud rate will be an issue. It looks like I am going to have to start digging in. I wish Stein would have ran extra wires as well. My panel is stuffed tight with wires and gear with not much room. I ordered the pins so hopefully its not too bad
Old 05-19-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
My panel is stuffed tight with wires and gear with not much room.
You would think cable was so expensive !!!! I can't move anything behind my panel more than an inch. It's been a hassle to do the upgrades I'm doing.

My next big upgrade in a couple of years will be the entire panel and if I don't wire it myself the first line item will be 12" service loop on EVERY wire so I can remove the panel and disconnect things without having to hire a 3' tall helper with 4' long skinny arms to get under the panel and disconnect things without breaking anything !

Old 05-19-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyhud View Post
Your 327 will work fine with the Echo, either hardwired with the “mux” or by sniffing, either way is fine, only advantage to the hardwire/mux setup is the ability to use anonymous mode...
I understood the MUX cable was provided if requested (at no charge). Looking at the UAvionix site this item is $75 bucks. What gives?

I tried to hard wire my Echo into my system but I cant seem to find the configuration to make it all work. I have a GTX327, GTN650 and D180. The Dynon is the altitude encoder (serial), and the GTN drives the 327 as a remote head (serial). The 650 provides the position source to the Echo. I had to split the serial shared by the transponder to the Echo and apparently the Echo does not like the config setting of "Remote GTX".

Not sure if the mux cable will help or I have to just sniff?
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 05-19-2020, 11:28 PM

I don’t have any of this stuff but would be very surprised if the Echo will accept anything other than ‘ADSB+’, which will not work with the 327.