What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Portable Air Conditioners

dhsa

Can anyone recommend which portable A/C units they have used and the pros/cons of each one. Specifically, I'd like to know how long they last and which size unit you have used. The ones I know of are Arctic Air, B-Cool and Icy Breeze. Any and all comments are appreciated.

My flying buddy in Florida uses this one in his Cozy MKIV and really likes it. He uses the freeze packs and has plenty of cooling power that he states lasts a good couple hours of steady "ON" use. He mostly uses it for lower altitude flying. http://switchboxcontrol.com/icebox/ You can build your own for less but these are pretty nice units.

I have a Icybreese unit that I bought at Osh two years ago and never opened the box. It's too big for my RV6. Make me an offer.

Same

I have a Icybreese unit that I bought at Osh two years ago and never opened the box. It's too big for my RV6. Make me an offer.

Got a good deal 2 years ago... will be using in the 10 again this week. Works great.... takes the edge of Landon and taking off on those hot summer days.

Dave, are you talking about an ice cooler or an actual A/C unit? All of the responses so far are regarding the ice cooler.

I too bought one of the IcyBreeze units 2 years ago at AirVenture. However I gave up on mine after just 2 uses in the Houston summer heat. With 20 lbs of bagged ice from the grocery store I only got about 30-45 min of cooling at most. Granted I didn’t get above 3000 ft on either flight, but it just wasn’t worth the hassle for so little cooling. I was using it in my Grumman Traveler without a baggage door, which made it hard to get it into the baggage area, and even harder to get it out without spilling the water inside the plane.

This experience reinforced my decision to build a true AC system into my RV-10. Haven’t completed the 10 yet, but am happy with the AC system kit I purchased from Airflow Systems and the support from Bill Genevro.

Back