What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Use of Flaps on Landing

Bluelabel

Well Known Member
Funny that I had this thought, and it seems perfect that this is the other side of Bob's earlier post on Flaps on Take off...

I was doing a few T&G's on Friday morning before heading up to Reno. It occurred to me I hadn't done any in a while, but I was itching to fly, even if it was just a few times around the patch.
When I did my training last year with Mike Seager, he trained me on the following...
Flaps @ zero for take off, up to reflex after about 200-300 feet.
On landing: Flaps from Reflex to Zero as you approach the pattern (or as you entire an approach), then flaps to 1/2, then flaps to full on short final.
So, I generally always land with full flaps. 70kts on approach and over the fence, about 65kts over the numbers.

However, doing touch and goes, it takes a while for the flaps to come back up. So, it got me thinking.... what about int heaven of a go around?
What are other doing? Sounds like a lot of people landing with no flaps? Mostly I'm landing on pretty long runways, so that's certainly not an issue.

Thoughts? and Speeds for what you do use?

Same as you; full flaps, 70-75 kias on final (light-heavy).
For touch and goes, or go-arounds, I find the biggest issue isn't getting the flaps up a notch or two, but getting the plane back in trim. But they are both manageable. Just be prepared for the forward stick pressure needed with a full flap go-around.

Same as you; full flaps, 70-75 kias on final (light-heavy).
For touch and goes, or go-arounds, I find the biggest issue isn't getting the flaps up a notch or two, but getting the plane back in trim. But they are both manageable. Just be prepared for the forward stick pressure needed with a full flap go-around.

Maybe I need to practice that.... the other day I was on our big runway, and there's almost enough time for the flaps to come up before taking back off again...

Still seems like a lot of people are landing no flaps as the norm?

I flew with Van himself in the 10 and watched so I could learn. He pushed the stick to the right to lower the left aileron and then matched it with flap for takeoff. I have done that ever since. Seems to work great.
I always land with full flaps in the 10, 70-75 on final, and about 65-70 over the numbers.

Vic

Back