What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Drag?

gfb

Well Known Member
Finishing up wheelpants (yes, I know...) and had the plane up on jacks. Noticed a bit more brake drag than I was expecting, very similar to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFTeGMazqs

I have Beringer wheels/brakes and the piston is definitely all the way up. I can lightly pry the pads apart and then the wheels spin freely.

Is this an expected about of drag?

You can usually hear brake drag easily. If you don't hear a noticeable brake noise, then the bearings could be too tight.
Loosen the axle nut until the bearings are "too loose", and try again. If no change, it's the brakes. If it spins nicely, then the bearings were too tight. :)

It's definitely the brakes. As I mentioned, the problem goes away if I pry the pads apart a little. I also checked by removing the axle nut and I get the same problem.

Is this plane already flying? If so is this condition new since installing the wheel pants? In this case maybe the new brackets are applying side pressure on the calipers, or similar pressure against the brake line?
If this is a new plane, have the brakes been ?burnt in?? It might loosen up after taxing a bit.
Is this both wheels. Or just one side?

Back