What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LOE 2019! ---Doug?

Guy Prevost

Well Known Member
It appears that the last RV LOE was in 2015. It used to be one of the biggest events on the RV calendar. I'm considering a resurrection in 2019. I don't believe any emails I've sent asking for permission to use the name have reached the intended recipient (Doug), so I'm asking here.

A little more info:
I'm contemplating putting together a New Mexico Fly-In in October 2019. It would include a fly-in opportunity to the New Mexico Spaceport, an opportunity to visit the Trinity Site on one of two days it's open to the public every year and would coincide with the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. More details here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=162771

I'm only doing this because a number of people have asked me about visiting NM Spaceport, and I want to give back to this community. It's not a fundraiser, there will be no raffle, and if people don't show it will likely cost me a boatload of bucks. The best place to express interest or get information is in the linked thread.

Take the reins and run with it!!!!

Let me know how I can help. I serve at the pleasure of the Guy.

b,d

I'd be interested in attending!

I'm thinking about heading that way in the springtime, what's another trip?!

I did some GPS testing at Holloman AFB in the same valley as the Trinity site ... we had unfettered access to the area (up to the fences around the actual site, of course). It was a bit unnerving to be so close to such a significant place in history.

The valley is quite beautiful ... high desert; quite a bit of vegetation, and African Oryx (~ large antelope) introduced as big game for hunters, and now live there happily. Magnificent creatures!

The closest public airport seems to be in Socorro, NM. (tho, there is an AF field right inside the gate in the Trinity site valley -- Stallion AAF. Never seen an A/C there, tho)

That's a tl;dr way of saying -- great idea, great trip. My -7 should be done by then!

Update 20181127. As stated in the thread linked in the original post, my goal was to enable people to fly into Spaceport America. It was going to cost me at least $5k up front to arrange that and much time. There is now a Fly-In scheduled at the spaceport on April 7, with registration becoming available before hand. FMI: https://lcspacefestival.com/

I'll post updates in the other thread as I learn more.

Guy

Back