What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Vent Line - Problem with the "SharkBite" Tee

JimMac

In the fuel vent "T" connector behind the cargo bulkhead, the "T" branch for the siphon killing tube has come out of the connector. This connector is the "SharkBite" style which has teeth in it to grab the tubing. Has anyone, besides me, experienced any unreliable retention of the tubes that go into this connector? After this tube became disconnected, gasoline overflowed into the fuselage the next time I topped-off the tank. Also, has anyone experienced any leaks of gas fumes from this connector? Is there an alternative design available for this fuel vent system for the RV-12?

I have had the same issue. Had not noticed/smelled fumes in the cockpit.
But during annual last month I found the small plastic vent tube disconnected from the T-connector. Design seems rather flimsy in my opinion and I would have preferred a more robust connection for these lines. Was able to reconnect them, but I'm thinking an upgrade/change is in order. Interested in whether anyone has addressed this issue already.

In the fuel vent "T" connector behind the cargo bulkhead, the "T" branch for the siphon killing tube has come out of the connector. This connector is the "SharkBite" style which has teeth in it to grab the tubing.

Jim & Brent ... wondering if the root cause of your issue is that the aluminum line has pulled back into the baggage area enough to allow the quick release ring on the "T" to get compressed onto the baggage bulkhead enough to cause the releasing of the aluminum vent tubing?

Edit: Disregard ... I see you are talking about the leg of the "T" and not the inline connections ... I didn't read close enough.

Last edited:
Also, the tubing connections where the 1/8" tube is inserted into a 1/4" tube which is then inserted into a 3/8" tube (which then goes into the tee) are not very tight. Would there be anything wrong with me putting a little Proseal where these tubes join? Also, From playing around with these "SharkBite" connectors, I have discovered that you have to exert an extra push to fully seat the tubes in the connector. This assures it gets through a tight-fitting "O" ring inside. You can usually feel it when it slides through the "O" ring.

Shark Bite Tee

Shark makes a 1/2 X 1/2 X 1/4 Tee part # U359LF .
Use a short length of 1/4" tube reduced to 1/8" with a barbed reducer.
Be sure to use the ridged support inside your 1/4" tube in the shark bite.
instructions here: http://s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Cash-Acme - U359LF - Install Instructions.pdf
My finish kit is on order so no first hand experience with this.
From the photos I have seen the vent "appears" to be 1/2" aluminum.
If not shark bite makes all sizes of Tee's, but only down to 1/4".

Back