What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7: How much left/right stick throw with wings on?

wjb

Well Known Member
Hi Folks, Happy New Year!

I'm working my panel and want to be sure I don't have any interference issues between the stick and the throttle bracket (Van's stock design). How much does the stick move left/right of center when full forward after the wings are on and the aileron stops are in place? How much clearance is there between the stick grip and the throttle bracket when the stick is full forward and right?

Beware of the co-pilot stick too . . .

Hi Folks, Happy New Year!

I'm working my panel and want to be sure I don't have any interference issues between the stick and the throttle bracket (Van's stock design). How much does the stick move left/right of center when full forward after the wings are on and the aileron stops are in place? How much clearance is there between the stick grip and the throttle bracket when the stick is full forward and right?

Not much clearance there. I "chose poorly" as the old knight said - - and I spaced my throttle, prop and mixture wider than stock (more like a 182) and my co pilot stick hit the mixture. The throttle is in the stock location. The panel and throttle are just fine if your hand is not around the top of the stick. I suppose one could adjust the sticks with some camber to avoid the interference. I chose to shorten the co-pilot stick.

It is -18F today, so can get you the actual angles/pictures in a couple of days if they are still needed.

Last edited:
I cut several inches off my sticks when installing the Infinity grips to ensure clearance of the panel and controls. Maybe I got lucky but there are no clearance issues and I typically fly with my arm resting on my leg and my fingers on the bottom of the grip. Light pressure in any direction and she's going there.

Your control stick should have about 20 degree swing from neutral in all directions. This will vary a bit (plane to plane) depending on how you configured your control stops.

Once you install the wings and connect the aileron and elevators, you won't have an issue.

Just wait.

Depends on what grip you install and how close to the plans you are on the aileron stops, I did the Infinity grips also and cut a lot off to clear the stock panel, I would wait. also I heard it mentioned here, to have the stick as long as possible, and don't forget to measure with the throttle out at idle.

Thanks for all the good info. I, like others, installed Infinity grips, and I have a 1" extended panel, cut by Up North Aviation. I cut the sticks so that the grips clear the panel forward without an issue. I'll wait for the wings to go on before I finalize the throttle bracket.

Back