Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2017, 02:11 PM

Default Day Thirteen (cont.)

Inside the terminal building, I met a beautiful young lady named Andi behind the counter, and as she was helping me get acquainted with the pilot’s lounge and kitchen area, the CEO and Board President of the Cook County Chamber of Commerce introduced himself to me. His name was Jerry. After I told him and Andi about the 40-day mission I was flying through America, Jerry showed me where I could sleep for the night.

I thanked him, and he showed me where to find coffee or snacks in the kitchen and said that I was welcome to make myself at home during my stay. He would be having a meeting later in the day down the hall in the conference room.

Jerry had to run a few errands in town, but before he left, he told me that if I needed anything to just give him or Andi a holler. I thanked both of them for their generous hospitality and warmth of friendship.

I went out to the Dove to get her wiped down and tied to the tarmac. It was starting to become a very hot day outside and already I could feel the blasting heat bearing down onto the asphalt and stirring the day into one to be remembered.

When I got back into the crystal coolness of the FBO, there was Jerry again. He approached me and asked, “Will you be around about one-o’clock?” I told him that, yes, more than likely I would. “Because I’ll be bringing thirteen freshmen students over here for my educational leadership program.”

Jerry asked me if I would be willing to teach the kids about the plane, Descending Dove, and he wanted me to tell them about why I was flying through America for 40 days and 40 nights. I told him that I would be more than happy to do that. He thanked me, then walked back out to the parking lot and disappeared. Then came the full realization of how powerfully the Lord’s providence was operating on this mission trip, and I thanked him deeply right then and there.

Meanwhile, I went over to Azalea Aviation and walked into the hangar where I met Kyong, Bill’s wife from Korea. A V-tail Bonanza was on jacks with a mechanic named Carl working in the cockpit. Another mechanic named Paul, who talked about his time in the Air Force working on A-10 Warthogs, stood nearby. Pretty soon, Bill came into the hangar. He walked up to me very gently and asked, “So, what can I do to help you?”

I told him that I would like to see his shop and the Saberwing aircraft that he was producing there on the field. Bill was more than happy to oblige.

Bill showed me how quickly the Saberwing spruce-composite airframe could be assembled. He showed me a week-old project that already appeared ready for hydraulic and electrical systems installation.

Then he showed me the current prototype which included a simple turbocharger installed on the Spyder engine used in the classic Corvair automobiles.

Kyong, Bill’s lovely wife, joined us as another Saberwing pilot, Larry---the owner and builder of the first successfully assembled kit---prepared his plane for another Phase One test flight.

Soon, Bill did a walk-around preflight of Larry’s Saberwing before climbing in himself, cranking up, and taxiing out for the runup.