What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NoDiz ignition controller

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
So, I have been working on installing an EDIS system with Megajolt ECU. I have yet to buy the megajolt. In the meantime I have become interested in the NoDiz ECU. There are advantages and disadvantages compared to the Megajolt.

Pros:
Built in coil drivers, so no EDIS module = simple wiring
Programmable trigger offset up to +/- 50 degrees. Improves trigger mounting options for dual ignition without map changes.
36-1 or 60-2 trigger compatable
Hard and soft rev limiters
MAP or TPS compatable
RS232 and Bluetooth connectivity (bluetooth is for data output, not programming)
External MAP (I prefer this over the internal MJ map, but that is subjective.
Similar price point to MJ (all up)

Cons:
Only 1 ignition map, no swapping between maps on the fly.
UK company, so slower sourcing for parts, shipping costs.

I am considering this over the MJ right now. I have a carbed engine and FP prop, so the dual maps aren't epecially critical to me. Anyone else look at this option before?

https://motorsport-electronics.co.uk/products/ignition-only-systems/nodiz-pro/

I liked the MJ option for the 10, but didn't want to deal with making a steel 36-1 trigger wheel. I went Megasquirt. I used a hall sensor with magnets on the ring gear and a custom hall sensor mount. For the 6A, I made a mag hole based Hall pickup. MSII units are only $250 and I get dual maps (switchable) and use the knock retard tied to a switch to get a 3* retard from the base map (It is programmable). I have both switches for both ignitions, so get a good amount of timing variability in flight (remember that total effective timing is, in part, a combination of both ignition's timing settings). The MSIII units have infinitely adjustable adv/ret with a potentiometer, like the MJ, but I didn't want to spend the extra $

The MSII on my 6A has been trouble free for 600 hours. The full MS EFII has been trouble free on my Porsche as well, once the bugs are worked out and maps set.

You install the Bosch BIP chips/drivers ($10) inside the MS box and directly fires standard coils. The trigger offsets are infinitely configurable. It has rev limiters (soft and hard), but I don't use them. MS supports the VR pickups as well, to use your trigger wheel.

Lack of switchable maps is a major downside, IMO and pot based adv adjustment is a huge advantage of the MJ. Optimal timing moves around a good bit based upon mixture and you'll find yourself using different AFRs in the higher altitudes and econ vs speed situations.

EDIT: Just saw that you are carb based. However, you will find different optimal tiiming when ROP vs Peak and should consider that.

Good luck,

Larry

Last edited:
Larry,

Thank you for the feedback. While the dual maps may not be of great advantage to me, the trim ability is for sure.

The MS 2 boxes look to be going for closer to $400 at the moment on ebay. I'll probably just stick with the MJ. Maybe one day I'll upgrade.

Thanks,
Colin

I liked the MJ option for the 10, but didn't want to deal with making a steel 36-1 trigger wheel. I went Megasquirt.

Did you still use the Edis part as well. I assume not due to the way Edis needs to be triggered

Hennie

Larry,

Thank you for the feedback. While the dual maps may not be of great advantage to me, the trim ability is for sure.

The MS 2 boxes look to be going for closer to $400 at the moment on ebay. I'll probably just stick with the MJ. Maybe one day I'll upgrade.

Thanks,
Colin

$250 is for a build it yourself kit. check out DIYautotune.com.

I liked the MJ option for the 10, but didn't want to deal with making a steel 36-1 trigger wheel. I went Megasquirt.

Did you still use the Edis part as well. I assume not due to the way Edis needs to be triggered

Hennie

No EDIS. The MS uses the hall effects or VRs directly to get the crank position and they directly fire a standard coil. You just need the MS box and a coil.

Larry

Back