What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GSA-28 roll servo for RV-9

BAISowner

Hi all,

It looks like the G3X Touch install manual intends for the roll servo to be in the right wing for the 9 series. The other models, like the 6 series, has an option of under the seat area.
Anybody installing the roll servo for a 9 under the co-pilot seat area?

Thanks,

Geoff
RV9a

I strongly suggest your follow the manual and put the servo in the wing where it belongs and works best.
Not sure why you would want to put it under the seat other than it may be a bit easier to run the wires.

Roll servo

Thanks for the response. Simply put, the ship is flying and I wondered about access in the inspection panel on the wing to install the servo etc. It looked like the under the floor location would have been better.

Geoff
Rv9a

I've done quite a few Garmin upgrades on built aircraft, I'd rather put it in the wing than under the floor anyday.

It goes in the wing without too much problem. I can't imagine trying to put it under the seat. So much other stuff there - I wouldn't know where to start.
I have some pics of mine if you want to see what it looks like. Email me and I will send them. Too much trouble posting them here!

Your call.

It is your bird, but I would have to second Walt on this one. The Roll servo for the RV's that Garmin gives you are not hard at all to put in the right wing location. If you can run a few wires from there into the cabin you will find it is a good location and works very well as provided. We had the wings on and all the other wiring run though the wings before we decided to add the A.P. on our 8. I think it took me a couple of hours to put the servo in and run the new wires along with the old ones that went out to the tip. You can have it the way you want it and that's the way it should be, but you may be asking for a little more work if you need it inside the cabin. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I don't think you would be able to mount it safely under the seat. The control tubes that go out to the wing move forward and aft quite a bit with up and down elevator motion. If you tried to mount the servo there the geometry of that location would make the roll servo hunt each time the elevator moved. When it mounts to the pivot in the wing the control point is fixed. Its very easy to install out there in any case.

Garmin roll servo install location

Thanks everyone for the input. I will be going for the recommended right wing install location. I only wanted to know if there was an option. Also good to know its not too bad a job to install in an already flying bird.
Again, really appreciate the replies.

Geoff
Rv9a

Back