What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Snap Bushing Edge Distance

ShortSnorter

Well Known Member
What (if any) edge distance is required in the web to flange wiring holes in the wing ribs? I'm looking to upsize the holes closest to the spar but am not sure how much larger I can go.

70ytuf.jpg

Edge distance for fasteners, hole spacing for bolts and rivets, etc... are defined structural standards whereby engineering has been done to account for scenarios, like upsizing or adding rivets. You can make changes in confidence. Same for repairs to skins, ribs, etc...

However, I am not aware of any such standard for a hole in a rib, other than a repair, or how many holes are acceptable, or size of said holes.
In the older kits the factory allowed for some variance in placement and size of the holes. In your kit, they may allow other locations and/or size of the hole, but if it isnt called out, Vans would be where you need to go for an answer.

Edge distance for fasteners, hole spacing for bolts and rivets, etc... are defined structural standards whereby engineering has been done to account for scenarios, like upsizing or adding rivets. You can make changes in confidence. Same for repairs to skins, ribs, etc...

However, I am not aware of any such standard for a hole in a rib, other than a repair, or how many holes are acceptable, or size of said holes.
In the older kits the factory allowed for some variance in placement and size of the holes. In your kit, they may allow other locations and/or size of the hole, but if it isnt called out, Vans would be where you need to go for an answer.

Thanks, I suppose I'll give Van's a shout on Monday.

Read First!!

Sorry guys - I should have referred back to Section 14 (Wing Ribs) first!

2mg6mtf.jpg

Hopefully the metadata will help a future builder's search.

Last edited:
Back