What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTN 6XX/7XX Descent Vertical Navigation, July 18, 2018

Careful here.

Before you load and activate the approach, press the vectors button and select the fix

Unless you are being vectored to the final. This is the reason for the vectors choice. When you touch vectors, it opens the window to display the IAF?s where you can then select your choice. If you leave VECTORS there, it removes everything but thr FAF.

The link to the firmware in the first post isn't working for me. Has it changed?

The link on the first post brings you to all the Garmin updates. The bottom one is the GTN update and two above that is the support document. Both still work for me.

Trying to find the answer and I'm either too dense when reading the manual or otherwise mentally challenged...How do you update to 6.50? The manual talks about how a "GTN Software Loader Card can be created using a GTN Downloadable Software SD Card P/N 010-01000-00 in conjunction with a GTN software application downloaded from the dealer resource center on garmin's website".

So is this "Downloadable Software SD Card P/N 010-01000-00" something I need to buy from Garmin? Or can i just use a blank SD card? Or do I use one of the SUPP Data SD cards that came with my GTM-650?

Thanks,
Rick

The GTN software update service bulletin has this note to explain that you do not have to buy a Garmin SD card to perform this update.

"The GTN Downloadable Software Data Card is a blank SD Card. Other commercially available 2-32 Gb standard-size SD cards formatted for FAT32 may be used. ".

Thanks,
Steve

GTN Ver 6.51

I have not yet installed GTN ver 6.50. Can I install ver 6.51 without first installing 6.50?

I have upgraded to the G3X Touch ver 6.21 & GTN ver 6.51.
However, I don?t know what the improvements over the 6.20 & 6.50 verisions.
Question is there a write up available for this?

I have upgraded to the G3X Touch ver 6.21 & GTN ver 6.51.
However, I don?t know what the improvements over the 6.20 & 6.50 verisions.
Question is there a write up available for this?

The pub should tell all the changes, there are many. To practice, the handbook says we can enter the simulation mode while on the ground to practice. That is my plan. I have the non-touch G3X, so eagerly awaiting announcement of new SW for that.

Bill,

I believe you are referring to demo mode, which is currently supported by both the G3X and G3X Touch products. The simplest way to get into demo mode is to boot the display while holding down the Direct To button.

Thanks,
Levi

Team X Project Manager

Last edited:
I used that document for the instructions for loading the ver 6.25 but it didn?t cover what the upgrade does.
I?m already flying the upgrade but have no ideas what the upgrade does.

Back