What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A prototype scheduled to be at Copperstate Fly-in

rvbuilder2002

Legacy Member
Mentor
Baring any unforeseen issues that might prevent it (weather, etc.) the RV-14A prototype is scheduled to be at the Copperstate Fly-in from Thursday through Saturday.
Come by and see the new Skyview Dual touch screen panel, and (hopefully) the production / kit version gear leg and intersection fairings.

Last edited by a moderator:
RV-12s???

Went to Copperstate last year hoping to see a few 12s. If there were any there, I missed them. Anybody planning to fly a 12 there this year?

RV-14 intersection fairings

Scott, have you guys noticed any performance improvement due to adding the intersection fairings? I see the -14A perf numbers with the IO-390 are a bit slower than a -7A with a 180 hp O-360, and wondered if those numbers will improve by 2-3 kts with the fairings added?

Thanks,

Mark Navratil
Spring Hill, KS
RV-8A N2D

Scott, have you guys noticed any performance improvement due to adding the intersection fairings? I see the -14A perf numbers with the IO-390 are a bit slower than a -7A with a 180 hp O-360, and wondered if those numbers will improve by 2-3 kts with the fairings added?

Thanks,

Mark Navratil
Spring Hill, KS
RV-8A N2D

That's an interesting question! I wonder if they got their performance numbers from actual tests, computer modeling, or.... ?

Wonder what else could be improved with more time and energy during the build? Hate the fact that my RV8 friend will be able to pull away from me ;)

Hate the fact that my RV8 friend will be able to pull away from me ;)

The RV-8 is gonna pull away from a -14A no matter what you do to it...perhaps you could install a 540 and keep up with him at 12 gph :eek:

As I recall when Vans announced the -14A they stated the goal was to provide the same performance as a 180 hp RV-7A, but the current performance numbers on their website are a bit lower than that. But those numbers were posted pre-intersection fairings, so I'm not sure if Vans accounted for that or not. I'm thinking about building the 14A and it's definitely going to be an adjustment going from my 180 hp RV-8A...more fuel burn, less performance. But, more room, range, better nosegear design, etc. Compromises. Sigh...

Mark Navratil
Spring Hill, KS
RV-8A N2D

All currently posted performance #s were derived from flight testing in the configuration that has existed since first flight.... Nose wheel and leg fairing from the RV-10, and RV-12 main wheel fairings and RV-8 leg fairings (which don't fit ideal, but were better than bare legs) for the mains.

The airplane has not been flown yet with the new leg and intersection fairings installed (still in process), but has the potential for another couple kts, which would put the performance right on par with a 180 HP RV-7A.

Before powerplant kits ship, the hope is to do some evaluation testing of the exhaust/muffler system to see if any significant power output penalty is being paid. If so, there could be some slight performance gain potential there also.

Last edited:
RV-14 Route of Flight

Any idea what the route of flight will be? I am building my RV-14 at the Heber City, UT. (36U) airport. If the flight from Vans to Copperstate goes through Utah with any stops at SLC, U42, PVU Or 36U I would love to get a look at the plane.

Any idea what the route of flight will be? I am building my RV-14 at the Heber City, UT. (36U) airport. If the flight from Vans to Copperstate goes through Utah with any stops at SLC, U42, PVU Or 36U I would love to get a look at the plane.

Sorry Ken
My typical route is pretty direct so I don't get very close to Utah

Back