What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Isham vs Cleveland...uh...Cleaveland

WannFly

hope i am not starting a low wing vs high wing debate here (i am guessing everyone is a low wing fan like me here :p).

Considering which tools to buy, i will go for a kit with little upgrades like Pneumatic squeezer, DRDT2 etc, the rv 1- kit from Isham have those, the cleveland ones doesnt and still costs almost the same. i have heard cleveland tools are far better, but there is some endless debate on that (why is everything in aviation such a debate?)

anyway, thoughts?

I am happy with the Isham kit. That being said, I had them delete the dimple dies and rivet sets, and I purchased those high quality parts from Cleveland.

Best of both worlds.

I bought the Isham kit about 10 years ago to get the DRDT-2 and pneumatic sqeezer included. Good quality tools and I think a great value. I also have some Cleveland tools and they are good quality also - and they come to Airventure.

Both are great (in my opinion)

I bought my initial kit from Isham including the DRDT and pneumatic squeezer and was very happy with all the tools included in the kit. I've also purchased quite a number of individual items from Cleveland either through the mail or at Oshkosh. Both are great outfits to work with and provide great service.

Somehow or the other I managed to bend the adjustable rivet set for the pneumatic squeezer (which BTW I'd highly recommend vs. using washers to shim for proper squeeze), I called Isham to order a new one and much to my surprise he shipped me a replacement at no cost even though it was my misuse which caused the failure.

Cleaveland

Cleaveland...Cleaveland...Cleaveland

...not...Cleveland.

Just a nit of mine. They're in Iowa, not Ohio, and I have no idea why they spell it with two "a's." It's pronounced the same, but it's spelled with an extra "a."

Rant off. :)

Thanks everyone... i am talking to Cleaveland and i will talk to Isham as well, they are using a lot of names that i have no idea what to do with..for example the pneumatic squeezer have an option of a some 7 different yokes. http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Pneumatic-Squeezers-Yokes/products/52/

just trying to understand the tools required is making my head spin

I'd recommend 3 yokes to start:

1. 3" standard yoke (http://www.cleavelandtool.com/3-Pneumatic-Yoke/productinfo/SNY30/#.XAcSj5NKhMM)
2. Longeron yoke (http://www.cleavelandtool.com/25-Flange-Nose-Pneu-Yoke/productinfo/SNYF251/#.XAcSUJNKhMM)
3. 4" thin nose yoke (http://www.cleavelandtool.com/4-Thin-Nose-Pneu-Yoke/productinfo/SNYT405/#.XAcSb5NKhMM)

I bought my tool kit from Isham and very happy overall. I had to send pneumatic squeezer back for O/H due to leak after 2 years - very good service and very quick turnaround. You can't go wrong with either. Cleaveland is my "go to" source for tools these days.

Even though I bought a pneumatic squeezer I also bought the "main squeeze" from Cleaveland - fantastic alternative. I frequently use it in a vise (clamp yoke in vise) to allow me to use one hand to position a part and the other to squeeze. Harder to do this with pneumatic squeezer due to the design of the trigger.

Last edited:
I bought the Isham kit about 11 years ago with the squeezer and DRDT-2. No complaints at all. Make sure to get the adjustable part on the squeezer.

John

I'd recommend 3 yokes to start:

1. 3" standard yoke (http://www.cleavelandtool.com/3-Pneumatic-Yoke/productinfo/SNY30/#.XAcSj5NKhMM)
2. Longeron yoke (http://www.cleavelandtool.com/25-Flange-Nose-Pneu-Yoke/productinfo/SNYF251/#.XAcSUJNKhMM)
3. 4" thin nose yoke (http://www.cleavelandtool.com/4-Thin-Nose-Pneu-Yoke/productinfo/SNYT405/#.XAcSb5NKhMM)

I bought my tool kit from Isham and very happy overall. I had to send pneumatic squeezer back for O/H due to leak after 2 years - very good service and very quick turnaround. You can't go wrong with either. Cleaveland is my "go to" source for tools these days.

Even though I bought a pneumatic squeezer I also bought the "main squeeze" from Cleaveland - fantastic alternative. I frequently use it in a vise (clamp yoke in vise) to allow me to use one hand to position a part and the other to squeeze. Harder to do this with pneumatic squeezer due to the design of the trigger.
awesome. thanks for the recommendations

Both are great. I have tools from both, that I have picked up over the years. I started with a full Isham kit and it has held up well for the last 7 years (all tools are still working fine). I'd recommend to a new builder to buy the Isham kit, with all the upgrades (pneumatic squeezer, Sioux drill, DRDT2 dimpler, 90 degree angle drill, tungsten bucking bar and extra clecos).

Last edited:
Dont forget Brown Tools

I have a mix of Brown Tools and Cleavand. Dont forget about Brown Tools; they have very high quality tools, good service and prices.

I have a mix of Brown Tools and Cleavand. Dont forget about Brown Tools; they have very high quality tools, good service and prices.

Yup. I originally opted not to buy a Sioux Palm Drill with my Isham kit, but later decided to upgrade. Brown had/has the best price for the Sioux Palm Drill, unless you take the upgrade initially when purchasing the kit. The "standard" drill motor that came with my Isham kit works fine, and I still have it and use it regularly. However, the Sioux has a better "feathering" trigger and really nice smooth operation. It's my primary drill motor. I use the other one in tandem with the Sioux, if desired (i.e. drill #30 with one and #40 with the other, or drill with one, countersink with the other, etc.).

Yup. I originally opted not to buy a Sioux Palm Drill with my Isham kit, but later decided to upgrade. Brown had/has the best price for the Sioux Palm Drill, unless you take the upgrade initially when purchasing the kit. The "standard" drill motor that came with my Isham kit works fine, and I still have it and use it regularly. However, the Sioux has a better "feathering" trigger and really nice smooth operation. It's my primary drill motor. I use the other one in tandem with the Sioux, if desired (i.e. drill #30 with one and #40 with the other, or drill with one, countersink with the other, etc.).

I got Sioux drill as an upgrade with my kit from Isham. No comment on price as it was a package deal.

I bought Cleaveland's RV tool kit and was glad I did... but what really amazes me is their customer service. Tool lost in the mail? They'll replace it. Tool worn out prematurely? They'll replace it. No questions asked. Their service is what keeps me a very loyal customer.

I'd also throw in a recommendation for the Main Squeeze hand squeezer from Cleaveland. Squeezing rivets is surprisingly difficult in some areas. It's difficult to apply enough force to squeeze an 1/8" rivet while also keeping the squeezer and rivet perpendicular to the work piece while also keeping the manufactured head seated against the parts. At first I ordered a Tatco squeezer which is a pretty decent model, but it doesn't give you the same leverage that the Main Squeeze does. What is worse is that the jaws for the more ubiquitous squeezers just aren't as beefy as the pneumatic jaws that the Main Squeeze takes. There is a surprising amount of deflection that goes on with the common Tatco style jaws that I didn't like. I think you can technically get buy with either one, but having bought both--I would recommend the Main Squeeze as one of the better upgrades I've made.

Also, the Sioux palm drills are nice. Get one.

Finally, I would recommend picking up swiveling flush rivet set like this one ( http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Swivel-Mushroom-Set/productinfo/RSMS75/#.XAmT19tKjIU ). You may need to sand down the rubber upon receiving it to get it spaced to the right thickness, but it really makes riveting the skins idiot proof. The combination of that set and a few nice tungsten bucking bars makes riveting really easy and enjoyable.

Cleaveland

Cleaveland...Cleaveland...Cleaveland

...not...Cleveland.

Just a nit of mine. They're in Iowa, not Ohio, and I have no idea why they spell it with two "a's." It's pronounced the same, but it's spelled with an extra "a."

Rant off. :)

Thanks to all for the recommends! Yes Cleaveland is a family name for us. AND it?s spelled correctly! See the ?founding of Cleveland? here for a funny story:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_Cleaveland

BUT, just in case, we have both www.cleavelandtool.com and www.clevelandtool.com ;-)

Skip the 3" yoke; you'll be getting the handy 4" one. Instead, get a shorter regular yoke like this one. The relatively small size will fit in a few places the longer one won't and with it on the squeezer, the tool will be lighter - handy when you're starting.

Besides Brown, Isham and Cleaveland, I've found that The Yard Store is good, too. Their house brand of riveters seems to be as good as Sioux and like Sioux, has a feathering trigger. Maybe better, since my Sioux riveter died a premature death but my ACAT replacement riveter is doing just fine.

Dave

Skip the 3" yoke; you'll be getting the handy 4" one. Instead, get a shorter regular yoke like this one. The relatively small size will fit in a few places the longer one won't and with it on the squeezer, the tool will be lighter - handy when you're starting.

Besides Brown, Isham and Cleaveland, I've found that The Yard Store is good, too. Their house brand of riveters seems to be as good as Sioux and like Sioux, has a feathering trigger. Maybe better, since my Sioux riveter died a premature death but my ACAT replacement riveter is doing just fine.

Dave

Actually, if you're building the 10, I'd recommend the standard yoke too, because the 4" no hole yoke doesn't allow you to dimple, only rivet. The smaller yoke doesn't have a long enough throat to allow you to reach in as far, to do this. Once again, it's the old adage: "A tool for every job and a job for every tool." On the bright side, squeezers (and their yokes) keep ther value pretty well.

Back