What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO 540 Ignition harness

Machsandy

We replaced our ignition harness with a Slick M2121 in Jan 2015. The No 1 Cyl connector is corroding quite badly. The UK rain maybe is part of the problem? Has anyone else had corrosion problems on such a new harness. When testing the number 1 lead it is also a wee bit intermittent on the test box. Is it an option to replace just the one lead and are any special tools required, it is a Bendix S6 200 mag?

I think I have read that the Kelly harness has a steel nut, does anyone have experience of Kelly harnesses? If so is it an option to pay extra for the steel elbow connectors and is there enough room for them under the Rv10 cowl?

Sorry for so many questions, I am a touch disappointed in the Slick harness, it is less than 4 years old and it doesn't rain all of the time here!

Last edited:
Yes, the individual leads are replaceable. It does take a special tool. The Kelly harnesses do seem a little better and yes they fit on an RV-10.

Vic

Thanks for that information Vic. Do you know if the steel elbowed Kelly harness will fit on the RV10? It costs a couple of hundred bucks more but if it is going to last for longer I thought it may be worth trying?

It isn't raining here (yet) iso I am going to blow some leaves in the garden!

Like Vic mentioned you can replace the end of the harness and the tool is a couple hundred dollars for Spruce. The replacement end is $25-30 from Spruce as well.

The tool allows you to replace either end or the ignition cable. While the tool is a little expensive, it does allow you to make inexpensive repairs as needed.

With the tool, replacing the end is a 5-10 minute job.

Thanks Bob, the lead is intermittent on the test box so is it possible, with the tool, to replace the lead and put new ends on both the Bendix mag side and the spark plug side?

Back