What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight

simatos

Well Known Member
Holy Cow--did the deed this morning. 5am at the field. Canopy would not close.
could not find the flash light. got it sorted out, spilled my coffee on the wing which immediately froze. Cleaned that taxied out and took off. Engine hot in Climb CHT 420's cooled a bit in level flight but then got manifold press drop to 4!!
WTHeck........I didn't know it could go to 4. Back to field. Trimmed baffles off the front of the forward cylinders, fixed the interference with the seat. Off again Temps better, squelchy radio and the manifold pressure gremlin seems to have disappeared. I'm exhausted but ecstatic........Perfect day really:D Yahoo Thanks to all you guys for your encouragement and help over the years........Cheers Gary
(wish I knew how to put in a photo). [ed. Mucho congrats Gary on our first flight!!!! Like others are saying CONGRATS ON YOUR GREAT DAY!!! How to on the pictures at: http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/ImagesInForums/images.htm. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the great day! Hope you figure out how to link some pics and video. :D I use flickr for my pics

I use postimg.com. Drag and drop easy. Congrats!

Just tried postimg.com and the only thing that comes up is a notice that postimg.com domain is for sale. :confused:

[ed. I think he meant postimg.ORG........not .com. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Gary. It’s postings like this that inspires the likes of me. I want to be there one day with my first flight.
Nervous were you, :D I can imagine.
Please post pics.

yes I was really wound up initially, didn't sleep much last night but once I got going the whole experience consumes your brain, so much going on. Machine flew so nice too. Tonight I will sleep like a Rock!!!!

Dry mouth time.

yes I was really wound up initially, didn't sleep much last night

Just wondering Garry, did you have people on the ground just in case.
I?m getting close to that day myself and thought also that 5 AM would be a good time. A ton of folks have told me they want to be there for my big day but I?m afraid that?s the last thing I need. I have a 24 hour Life Flight chopper stationed next to me and was going to tell them they might have a customer but otherwise just have a few guys from my EAA chapter there. Bet your heart rate was off the charts taking the active. Outstanding.:)

I had 2 buddies there but I didn't want to make it a circus so did it early and
"under the radar"............

Congratulation

i hope to be there in Sept.

Thanks for sharing that a little nervousness was present. Heck i feel nervous just thinking about taking this 8 year project off the ground.

Where in Van did you fly? Boundary?

Did you arrange to fly close to airport for first few minutes? I have talked to Tower and they will allow me a S.E. section of CZ within gliding distance of active for first flight. "Awsome" i said.

Dave

Haha an Alberta Man.....Great........Im up to Edmonton on the weekend (Westjet). The first leg of the day I orbited over the airport at Pitt Meadows. IN the afternoon after a few tweaks to the machine I went up the valley towards Chilliwack. I was a brilliant day and pretty smooth at 5000ft. Struts quit on the canopy, Im kinda cheesed off they are only 11 years old (project started in 2007) and I need to seal some leaks in the baffles but Im really pleased all in all. Regarding Boundry Bay I go there a lot did my private pilot there and lots of nice folks there I keep in touch with. Stay warm on the Prairie
Cheers Gary

Congratulations Gary! Just did mine jan 27 and have not flown above freezing yet. 5 hrs (to-land) now and finding/fixing little things each flight. Fantastic little flying machines!!

Well done !!

Nuts 2 nice days slipped by and we have a "caution" on all the AVGAS in the area
so no fuel available.............:eek:

Back