- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy123 View Post
That little wheel in the back you guys are so proud of doesn’t seem to be very popular with modern aircraft designers since 1940.
They don't care much for reciprocating engines either.

As for the tip-over vs. slider debate, I went went with the tip-up for the same reason you are going with a tip-over. Besides, if you go upside down, the slider will probably jam and you won't be able to get out because there is structure in the way.

I do believe there is a behind the head roll bar that is available for the -3. If not, make one.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 01-30-2019, 12:05 PM

Default Feeling tipsy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
RV-3s have the choice of a slide-back or a tip-over canopy. On mine, I'm choosing the tipover version mostly to get rid of the viewing obstruction of the windshield frame - which to be honest, doesn't seem like a big deal, having sat in two now.
Dave
Dave,
Per the above comments, my first RV flight was an early (serial number 5) RV3, a tip-over. I like the Tip Over for the same reason I loved the F16 canopy, no bow=great visibility
As far as flip over/canopy loss, both my RV4 and HR2 have tip overs and in over 2000 hours they never "fell" off and worked very well. !f you lock it, it's doesn't blow open! Additionally I have witnessed and been a first-responder to three RV flip-overs. Two slider 6A's and one Tip over RV3. All three trapped their occupants until we were able to lift them enough to slide/cut them out, one under two feet of mud in a corn field.
Slider vs Tip over wouldn't have mattered.
V/R
Smokey

A proper canopy...tip up with no bow.

PS: The above mentioned RV3 was very light weight, no electrical system and hand propped 0-320 with a Tip over canopy. It broke a record in 78" for time to climb and absolute altitude (21K) that stood until recently for it's class, (C1A).

Last edited by smokyray : 01-30-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:56 PM

There's also the fairly recent thread from Italy where the pilot managed to get the slider canopy open just before touchdown (can't be done at speed), only to have it slam shut on impact.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:19 PM

Default VIPER Picture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyray View Post
Dave,
Per the above comments, my first RV flight was an early (serial number 5) RV3, a tip-over. I like the Tip Over for the same reason I loved the F16 canopy, no bow=great visibility
As far as flip over/canopy loss, both my RV4 and HR2 have tip overs and in over 2000 hours they never "fell" off and worked very well. !f you lock it, it's doesn't blow open! Additionally I have witnessed and been a first-responder to three RV flip-overs. Two slider 6A's and one Tip over RV3. All three trapped their occupants until we were able to lift them enough to slide/cut them out, one under two feet of mud in a corn field.
Slider vs Tip over wouldn't have mattered.
V/R
Smokey

A proper canopy...tip up with no bow.

PS: The above mentioned RV3 was very light weight, no electrical system and hand propped 0-320 with a Tip over canopy. It broke a record in 78" for time to climb and absolute altitude (21K) that stood until recently for it's class, (C1A).
SMOKEY: I can't believe you didn't post a picture of an AL ANG Viper!!!
Old 04-10-2019, 05:07 PM

Revisiting an older thread, I'd thought of that F-16 type of canopy-opening plan for my RV-3B, but couldn't design one that would be light enough and still stiff and strong enough for the winds of midwest ramps. Sadly, I had to abandon the idea. Too bad, it wins for looks.

Another thing of interest is the relative size of the engine inlets between the RV-3B and the F-16. I think the area of the inlet is directly proportional to the fuel cost, hey?

Dave
Old 04-10-2019, 06:59 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
Revisiting an older thread, I'd thought of that F-16 type of canopy-opening plan for my RV-3B, but couldn't design one that would be light enough and still stiff and strong enough for the winds of midwest ramps. Sadly, I had to abandon the idea. Too bad, it wins for looks.

Another thing of interest is the relative size of the engine inlets between the RV-3B and the F-16. I think the area of the inlet is directly proportional to the fuel cost, hey?

Dave
If its any consolation, I enlisted Ken Krueger’s design brain when we were building Tsam to see if we could figure out an F-16 style...no structure there to support it. So we settled on the (sorta) F-104 option....
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
If its any consolation, I enlisted Ken Krueger’s design brain when we were building Tsam to see if we could figure out an F-16 style...no structure there to support it. So we settled on the (sorta) F-104 option....
Maybe a fastback, or partial fastback, conversion would give you enough to work with to mount a rear hinge?
Old 04-12-2019, 10:22 PM

Default easy to exit

At 6'3" I would not be able to exit a -3 with a slider. I have to scoot myself up on the rear deck and then extract my legs. Tip over is the only way for me. And I do see the benefits of the slider, especially on taxi with the canopy back and a cigar in the corner of my mouth.

Cool cat to act like that.

RV-3 restored
Stearman - airworthy - first fight ferry to LA for DAR - March 27, 2019 Yeah! No squawks.
L3 building for San Diego Air and Space Museum
Helio Courier constructing
Old 04-13-2019, 04:07 AM

Dave,
Is access behind the panel the same with a slider as a tip over? With my tip over, everything between the firewall and panel is easily accessible after removing the top panel.