What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder question

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I'm looking at the plans, or rather I was looking at the plans as they are out in the hangar so I cannot reference the page. When the two skins are to be attached together the plans state to only install one LP4 (I think that is the rivet called out, I need two sets of plans) in the forward most hole. I'm wandering if anyone knows why two holes are present if only one is used?
I'm only at the step of back riveting the skins to the stiffeners and looking ahead so I could be mistaken on the use of only one rivet .
Thanks Ron

You are talking about riveting the rudder stiffeners together, page 7-09. Good question. No idea why you would not rivet the back rivet. Perhaps doing so would throw off the alignment of the skins.

I'm looking at the plans, or rather I was looking at the plans as they are out in the hangar so I cannot reference the page. When the two skins are to be attached together the plans state to only install one LP4 (I think that is the rivet called out, I need two sets of plans) in the forward most hole. I'm wandering if anyone knows why two holes are present if only one is used?
I'm only at the step of back riveting the skins to the stiffeners and looking ahead so I could be mistaken on the use of only one rivet .
Thanks Ron

Ron,

You can probably get a PDF of the tail section from Van's. I did that for the wings so while I am "working" at my day job, I am going over what section I will be working on later when I get home. It also helps to be able to blow it up on the computer on some places where the wording or drawings are getting a little small for my old eyes. Good luck, can't wait to see pictures or your progress.

Spoke with vans builder support this morning. They said to follow the plans and do not rivet the aft rivet. He said he had no idea why you did not rivet that back rivet but he was sure there was a good reason.

Ron there is a better way as far as having 2 sets of plans!

I made a WIKI it has all the PDF plans and ALL the RV 14 threads from VAF. your question is answered in it. The aft hole is for clecos.

The PDF plans have notes and hyperlinks to VAF threads in the relevant section of the plans. This way you can review all the questions GOTCHAs and different options all in one location. more important you can read ahead and plan long term stuff like heated or not AOA pitot tube and resultant wiring requirements.

Or why do the plans say Do not rivet yet.

Check out the link below and scroll down to your page.

I just did my rudder, used the WIKI and the aft hole is for a cleco, and if left open, all fwd holes (2 on each stiffener) are LP-4 though. (though I just noticed this thread is from 2013, so hopefully you are way past this now)

You can download a copy of the plans for your plane from Vans Aircraft store under "My Aircraft."

Download.jpg

Back