What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Rib rivets too long

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
The rivets called out in the plans for attaching the forward flange of the ribs to the spar are too long by quite a bit (see attached picture). Is this the same for all the wing kits? The last three ribs call for AN-470AD-4-5 and all the other ribs call for 4-7. The next size down is way too short.

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w663/Kenneth_Stockman/photo-12_zpsbdcc7e80.jpg

I was told to never have a rivet too long because they could fold over. It is better to be short.

You can buy the AN470AD4-5.5 from aircraft spruce, but 4-6.5.

Any thoughts? Or am I just over thinking things again. I do have a rivet cutter, so I can cut them down.

6.5 length rivets

I purchased 6.5 length rivets from Sierra Pacific. If you only need a few it would probably be easier to cut some to the correct length.

You can buy all sorts of odd sized rivets. I had success with a rivet cutter for the occasional one that was obviously too long where I did not have an appropriate rivet in stock. Works just fine.

Back