VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-24-2018, 08:48 AM

Walt, use of installed equipment needs to be evaluated. If the installed equipment isn't functioning, it can't be evaluated. I have the LOD with the reason on it to show you if you still find it strange. Trust me, it's a thing!

Thanks for your input though!

On a different note, I did look at my data and in the Autopilot State column it has two strange lines of code. If anyone knows what Fail/abnormal disengage/00000004 and Fail/communication fault/00000005 means, I would be interested in knowing.

Steve from Garmin, the data is in your inbox.

Thanks again!

CJ
Old 06-24-2018, 09:19 AM

I would suspect the CAN bus. I had a similar intermittent problem. I ended up redoing all the connections - I found one connection where I had sliced into one of the wires when stripping the outer sheath, and one of the fine wires from the shield was shorting there.
F1 EVO Rocket, first flight May 31/14
Old 06-25-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_John View Post
Yesterday in the final throws of my IFR checkride, during the flight portion (of course) of the test my ap disconnects. I presumed that I hit the trim buttons, so I re-engaged it. After about a couple of minutes it disengages again. This happened several more times and I was unable to complete the exam. As you can imagine, this was somewhat discouraging!
I was the guy who started this thread about the servo issue. What you describe does not sound like my servo problem, which annunicated with a big black box on the screen.

It does, however, sound like the problem I had just a few weeks ago, after my autopilot had been working correctly for months:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=161284

Did you also get a red "AFCS" failure alert?

I've been logging data religiously since my incident but thus far it's been working without a hitch. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:45 PM

Well, I got no indication of any failures. No red x's or anything. It just bugged out with the trlple tone.

I will keep you posted with what I discover.

Really looking forward to getting this sorted out!

CJ
Old 06-26-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_John View Post
On a different note, I did look at my data and in the Autopilot State column it has two strange lines of code. If anyone knows what Fail/abnormal disengage/00000004 and Fail/communication fault/00000005 means, I would be interested in knowing.
Your error message seems to be similar to what was described in this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=157633

So maybe there is a new software problem. On the other hand, I'm running mine from a G5 with a GMC307 panel, so there are a lot of variables that are different between yours and mine. Who knows.

I was able to get mine going again after popping the autopilot circuit breaker and resetting it, and it worked after that, but I haven't been able to fly it much lately.

I am envious of your triple tone! I would love to have an audio warning of the autopilot disconnecting. I get only a little flashing yellow square (and sometimes the AFCS warning) on an attitude indicator that is my backup AI, so an uncommanded disconnect is easy to miss, especially in cruise. I think this is a drawback of a G5/GMC307 installation that appears to have been remedied with the GMC507.

Garmin folks: is there an upgrade path from the 307 to the 507? I think the warning tone would be worth it, although obviously it would need some additional wiring to the audio panel. Or could you do a software upgrade that flashes the whole G5 screen yellow (or something similarly "alarming") when the autopilot disconnects?