What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help wanted DFW area

I've recently completed my empanage (minus fiberglass) and purchased a set of QB wings and a fuselage in progress.

Looking at the giant mountain of a project in my garage has me feeling a bit overwhelmed, and I would like a little help getting back on track as well as some pointers on the things past just pounding rivets (fuel and brake lines, pitot system, fitting a tip up canopy, etc.).

I'm more than happy to provide beer and food if anyone would be willing to come chat and get me pointed in the right direction again.

One bite at a time

Since I don't live nearby, advice will have to come remotely.

You're naturally feeling overwhelmed staring at a giant mountain of incomplete parts. Get rid of the mountain. Put the fuselage (or wings) in storage, along with the completed empennage - out of sight of your primary work space and out of mind. Then focus on what's remaining. It'll be a lot more digestible in smaller pieces.

Don't worry about the canopy while you're installing pedals and brakes. Don't worry about the pedals and brakes if you're wrapping up the QB wings.

Keep working those smaller individual pieces by themselves until you're out of pieces. Then and only then, start looking at how they go together.

7e49f6b995b569d05581e933affbdeff.jpg

Stop by the hanger sometime and would be glad to chat with you, also have a couple of finished examples you can drool over to motivate you :D

I'm more than happy to provide beer and food if anyone would be willing to come chat and get me pointed in the right direction again.

Stop by the hanger sometime and would be glad to chat with you, also have a couple of finished examples you can drool over to motivate you :D

Topgun,

If I can do it anybody can. Take that Walt motivational offer asap! The man is a wealth of knowledge and he is one of us. I wish I had that opportunity in 2006 when I started building. Wouldn't be dodging major fly-ins after 4K flight hours, would have owned a meticulously built an award winner. Painted and waxed every day. :D

Welcome to the obsession Jonathan. You live in an RV Mecca. Go visit RV Central if Jay Pratt is around he will motivate you even more...

Welcome to VAF, Jonathan. As usual, Mike beat me to the welcome <G>.

Hey, guess who also lives in Lewisville, TX?

A: Me! (Highland Village is in Lewisville...)

Let's meet. I'd be happy to drive over and drink your beer...I mean help you with your project :) And we should probably go fly my -6 sometime to keep you motivated <grin>.

v/r,
dr

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the advice, if anyone has more, I'll take it.

My offer for beer will stand until my project is done, and even then.

Walt, I dropped by a month ago or so and did quite a bit of drooling. I will be back.

Welcome to VAF, Jonathan. As usual, Mike beat me to the welcome <G>.

Hey, guess who also lives in Lewisville, TX?

A: Me! (Highland Village is in Lewisville...)

Let's meet. I'd be happy to drive over and drink your beer...I mean help you with your project :) And we should probably go fly my -6 sometime to keep you motivated <grin>.

v/r,
dr

Doug, name your beer and its a plan. Let me know when works for you. My schedule is pretty flexible in the latter half of most weeks. (Wed.-Sat.)

Back