What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strobes make loud noise?

RV7ForMe

Well Known Member
Hey boys and girls. I got these here on the forum and "had" to try them out.

Strobe Video

They make very loud noise, It can even be heard on the camera.

Is this normal?
Can I make this go away?
Can I make sure I don't hear this on the radio? (I DONT HAVE A PLANE YET)
Also I notice that while the strobe discharge the lights go dimmer.

What do you guys think/know about this?
Thanks

You'll never hear them in the airplane with the engine running (even at idle) or with headsets on.

I beg to differ...

So in my search for an answer on and off the forum I went to the airport and asked a fellow that also has a wheelen setup (different model, the ones without white light)

I got a flight out of it so I will call it a good day either way! I could hear the strobes at idle. once the RPM goes up I couldn't HOWEVER I did hear them loud and clear when he was transmitting!

I had a similar issue on my Cessna with the old rotating beacon. Could hear the rotation noise when transmitting on the radio.

What do you say?

So in my search for an answer on and off the forum I went to the airport and asked a fellow that also has a wheelen setup (different model, the ones without white light)

I got a flight out of it so I will call it a good day either way! I could hear the strobes at idle. once the RPM goes up I couldn't HOWEVER I did hear them loud and clear when he was transmitting!

I had a similar issue on my Cessna with the old rotating beacon. Could hear the rotation noise when transmitting on the radio.

What do you say?

You can take the power feed wires to the strobe power pack and run them through a couple wraps around a ferrite choke and eliminate that.

o4W.jpg

Last edited:
You can take the power feed wires to the strobe power pack and run them through a couple wraps around a ferrite choke and eliminate that.

Sweet thanks. Is there a science to how many loops and what size ferrite? or is this to experimented?

Also I see on that picture you are still working on it. Where are you grounding the shield to? Locally? Back to common ground/bat?
You wire also looks thinner than the one supplied by wheelen that came in my box. I am asking because the one was send to me isn't shielded so I think I would rather use a different one like you have.

Last edited:
Sweet thanks. Is there a science to how many loops and what size ferrite? or is this to experimented?

Also I see on that picture you are still working on it. Where are you grounding the shield to? Locally? Back to common ground/bat?
You wire also looks thinner than the one supplied by wheelen that came in my box. I am asking because the one was send to me isn't shielded so I think I would rather use a different one like you have.

That was from my construction photos, I think that was 2012, my airplane is flying now. I don't remember specifically on the wire size, I bought a second-hand Whelen strobe pack from another builder who had changed their mind about what they were installing, and that shielded 3-conductor came with it, so that's what I used. I can't say if that was factory or not, but it works fine. The shield is grounded there at the strobe power pack.

On the ferrite, I'm sure there is some science to it but in my case I simply grabbed a toroid from a box of them I had laying around, found one big enough to do a few loops through, and wrapped it through until my leads got short. Generally speaking you want at least 2 full turns, more is better but more than 5 doesn't buy you anything extra. If you don't have toroids laying around or your wiring is already installed, there are clamp-on linear ferrite blocks that work almost as good.

Back