What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Debur chatter

FloMo14Builder

This is the result I get when i give my Avery speed deburring tool a 360 around a drilled hole.

dluVM7MIcnaNTL9rja3zBdccpIxUMtodJsOT3OPgDtSvZtjh58n08yYsuk5gI1poaBYpTWTQCYY-zQt0BbQhFhd4uMj2OD_JqqQ_2eeRLHDMcQKe7xQe0cmJdnL0b68IrJVjO55K3poESnRdt7CvO02EPpOC0Q33eFB6OYhBZv4Sf2s7DrDv7EQgEgeW-3jpm86ebohnyuv1V6h_gwlkGYfMFzAta-3HGr-R0D7tDXLhRZciTfoeEmTvFbQEnWajt5LWOWGuj-cC3v43ojeOcZEGRF6fNwLzYryrqXpDpLKjBc9DClYlOu3bni5MB9Pnhp7rc3rZLh2v91UsbYgZtZlrktsZJOSAujzZhUrmqyU_HWbhAg2PGmU5w4Y8zDRKtxxskWbjnlMkn-WmQpjvcRBRNKjvt6BLgpCsUXme9SFeGX-o_Y5YWbir3lNOIwjMyimZMFgOrejcHQtowPKk4UbhnGwcDmpU1U03R4VvNSTvDnhmlgzAJuZs7TOFJpfzJ2eOF6fzWZbiW9U1ns_8pcqTqBFAV-31-8rfnU_GLFQW2lG0gn10YVetwFJyb6CWa3FT6T4p-JgnHLfTpd-1pBp_gNYZJe7NQ4o7QDQC6od9n-uA_YxgHYNsvd7EefO4GnAR_-Z-CJJgL52o4Mdt7nXJIszVyx8y7tQ=w750-h564-no

This is a #40 drilled hole deburred and then dimpled on DRDT-2. Dimple was done to improve visibility of the jagged edge of the deburred hole.

I have tried using light pressure and heavy pressure fast and slow with similar chatter. Do I just need to buy a new 3-flute cutter? This tool was purchased new (in 2007) and has only been used on about 100 or so holes. If this is normal and I am just looking too close, I will be thrilled with that answer.

I am seeking your collective advice as I am now frustrated before I have even started (this is a piece of scrap from a 2007 Oshkosh sportair workshop that I was using to experiment on this afternoon). I have also been having some issues with my drilled holes not being round, but hopefully I solved that with a new set of drill bits.

Last edited:
deburring

1/4" shank 3/8 diameter 100 degree countersink, six flutes. MSC supply or industrial hardware store. If you can't find a handle for it make one. I can't find a source for the handle I have had for years. I used to be a fan of single flute countersinks for deburring but got over that a long time ago.

Chatter results from a cutter that repeatedly digs in, breaks loose, digs in, breaks loose. etc.. It is a harmonic with the machine (you) spinning the tool or work piece.
There are lots of ways to address this, but often the easiest is to change the cutter speed. Try spinning the tool faster or slower while adjusting pressure.

The tool can also have the tip of the blade ground to an angle that adds to chatter. In that case I have sometimes had success 'breaking in' the tool by deburring a few holes in steel. Tools will change over their life, depending on the wear, chattering only when fresh or more typically when forcing a dull tool.

Otherwise replace with a different brand/batch tool to find one that works for you.

+2. I got the little one from Cleaveland. Wasn't a fan using it in the drill press or by hand. But a cheapie electric screwdriver from lowes is the perfect speeed, 2 turns and done. Press was too fast to cut well.

I like those for deburring as well. However, from my experience, they require much less pressure than the other deburr bits. Too much pressure/turns and the hole will be countersunk instead of deburred.

Once you get your wrist calibrated, you can also use the 3 flute speed deburrer for all small countersinking up to #8 screws.

Takes a while to get the knack but saves a lot of time ;)

Debur

The Avery took is simple and works very well. I think you
Need to keep that tool and experiment with different debur cutters.

I mostly use fingers with those. Sometimes I will slide a piece of short rubber hose over the shaft to get a better grip.
If you do use a power tool..very slow speed and very little pressure.
From my limited experience, I think I "over deburred" holes when I first started my project. Not trying to countersink, just "de-burr" the hole. It can be a fine line..especially on the thin skins.

I bought one of these to use with my single flute deburring bit I got from Cleaveland Tools. It's only $8! It can turn at speeds ranging from "very, very slow" to as fast as "slow". :D But hey, when you're deburring that's what you want, right? I also find it reduces fatigue (on you not the airplane) when you're deburring a large field of holes.

https://www.amazon.com/Decker-AS6NG-Alkaline-Cordless-Screwdriver/dp/B004HY3APW

Last edited:
I also had the chatter from new Avery three flute deburring tools. Tried faster/slower/harder/softer, got it to work better, but not great. Called Avery (when they were still in business,) he acknowledged the problem, stated basically it wasn't a significant problem, suggested one could lightly sand the cutting edge with fine abrasive cloth. Since I had several new ones, I tried sanding the edge, and it helped. Over time they seem to break-in and start working better!

Back