What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Accurate Skyview Fuel Readings / Resetting

[email protected]

I'm New Here
:confused:
I'm a new RV12 owner and had problems with my Skyview showing the same amount of fuel as the tank gauge indicates. It never shows 19.8 gallons, not even close (even when the fuel tank is full). Also, after adding fuel, I am not able to adjust the Skyview quantity up to the actual quantity - even by pressing the "FULL" button.
Is anyone else experiencing this?

Design issue - -

16 gallons is the max it shows ( if built per plans ). Just have to get use to it. Not a problem. Reads well from 16 on down.

When I built my 12 the gas tank float arm hit the stops either low or high. I thought it more important to know if I have 3 gallons or no gallons as opposed to 20 or 17, so I bent the arm to be against the low stop when the tank is dry. As a result my float arm hits the top stop at 17 gallons, and I fly for an hour before I'm in the indicating range if I start with a full tank.

You can actually get slightly more than 20 gallons in the tank by filling the filler neck. I made a flexible dip tube and calibrated it when I calibrated the float. The thing you have to remember is that it's not a linear scale once you get to the filler neck. A small volume of fuel in the neck produces a larger dip tube change than the same volume when the free surface is down n the tank.

Hi Thomdavies,

I have a -12 up at French Valley (F70) not too far from you. Please come up and say hello. I can show you the fuel tank plans and explain what the others have said by reference to the build plans.

Alex

There are 2 places to set the fuel quantity. In the calibration page, you tell it how much it holds then calibrate it with a zero, 2, 4, etc calibration. When the gauge stops changing as you fill it up, then hit the full button.

In Airplane information, I think (or maybe in EMS Setup in general options), you tell it how much is full then how much is a preset amount of fuel (as in, the tabs, as in a Cherokee). If you put the full amount correctly, then hitting the full button will set the totalizer at the full amount. The tank, if calibrated correctly, if it doesn't read all the way up, will show, for example, "16+" when the float is hard against the full stop. When you get below the top stop it will read based on the actual calibration values.

I recently had a new tank installed and found the original builder installed the float upside down, hence the new Van's tank output the reverse voltage (fuel level). After a bit of trouble shooting and taking lots of pictures of all settings, I then manually reset the voltage/gallon info in the EDIT menu of fuel calibration, and tweaked it further after a full up or two. It's almost prefect, and can be fine tuned manually by voltage adjustment in EDIT.

Back