What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Drain Valve for Rotax 912

But if you so choose...

$39.95! That buys you a lot of crush washers - even from Rotax ...
It also allows you to quite easily and cleanly change the oil with dropping the lower cowl. Not that I am advocating that or in any way presuming it to be the only viable technique, mind you....

E-LSA owners, the quick drain is great and makes for less wear on the oil tank and supports.

S-LSA owners, remember that all modifications must be approved by the manufacturer....

TODR

Saf-Aire Quick Drain

Use care in torquing these quick drains. The brass fitting is thin and can not be torqued to the same value as the steel factory drain plug. I know from experience, this is my second one. I broke the first one by over torquing it.
P1050243-M.jpg

The Saf-Aire quick drain did come with the copper sealing washer but did not come with torque specs so I called the maker and they said 60-70 inch-lbs, so that is what I used. Thats a whole lot less torque than specified for the Rotax steel drain plug.

Thanks Tony. Just happened to be installing one this afternoon, so the torque information was very timely.

Thanks Tony.
I will be receiving my drain from Spruce tomorrow for a weekend install.
The torque values are very much appreciated.

By the way, when you clean your oil tank, do you disassemble the drain from the tank?

I use clear 91-92 mogas 95% of the time in my CT. In 380 hours of flying I have cleaned the tank twice. It was not worth the effort as it was clean.

. . . "The Saf-Aire quick drain did come with the copper sealing washer but did not come with torque specs so I called the maker and they said 60-70 inch-lbs, so that is what I used. Thats a whole lot less torque than specified for the Rotax steel drain plug." . . .

Tony,

To install the drain with measured torque, did it require you to use a crow foot?

. . . "I use clear 91-92 mogas 95% of the time in my CT. In 380 hours of flying I have cleaned the tank twice. It was not worth the effort as it was clean." . . .

John,

By "clear," do you mean non-ethanol?

Thanks for the report on the tank inspection.
It is my understanding (Lockwood Rotax School) that the bottom of the oil tank is a great lead collection point.
Up until I received my airplane (CTSW), it was operated with Avgas 100 LL exclusively, so the first annual by me will include a tank cleaning, to get rid of the lead.

I am now using 93 octane non-ethanol mogas, so the tank should stay relatively lead free for a while.

Question

Installing this saf-air oil quick drain valve and I am finding that it will not open unless I turn the dome oil tank wire mesh holder upside down (was it upside down to begin with?)

When the bottom holder in the tank is turned dome-side down (which is how I got it and how I have been running it) the oil quick release won't have enough room to push up and open the valve.

If I turn the dome upside down, it seem to fit, but does it matter which way the bottom mesh holder is oriented?

The four little tabs around the perimeter are supposed to be towards the bottom of the tank (it is clearly shown in the IPC if you want to see a depiction of how it goes).

This should also give you the most clearance possible.

The four little tabs around the perimeter are supposed to be towards the bottom of the tank (it is clearly shown in the IPC if you want to see a depiction of how it goes).

This should also give you the most clearance possible.

Yep I guess it was installed upside down. It's amazing how dirty that oil tank gets - cleaned out now.

So the dome points up and the tabs go down.

There are two types of plates in the bottom of the oil tank. One is an earlier modle. One is flat and the tabs do face down with the flat high surface facing up. Then there is the concave one. With this one the dome faces down and conforms to the bottom shape of the tank. This helps with oil flow. It sounds like you have the concave modle. You can see the differences in the Parts manual and the Line maint. Manual. These plates are interchangeable.

There are two types of plates in the bottom of the oil tank. One is an earlier modle. One is flat and the tabs do face down with the flat high surface facing up. Then there is the concave one. With this one the dome faces down and conforms to the bottom shape of the tank. This helps with oil flow. It sounds like you have the concave modle. You can see the differences in the Parts manual and the Line maint. Manual. These plates are interchangeable.

Well back to my original problem.

If you have an oil tank with the concave/dome bottom mesh holder/partition, you cannot use this I guess.

Anyone have a part number for the old flat one?

Lockwood not even showing it, and I see only one part number in the latest parts manual.

The concave style doesn't accept the drain valve. Possibly a different valve MFG might work? You could contact Lockwood, Leading Edge or CPS and see if they have a flat style. I don't know if they would because it isn't a part that gets damaged, but it won't hurt to ask. Rotax themselves aren't proponents of the drain valve as they worry about leaks and losing oil while flying.
The slower following drain valve also don't give the oil tank a good flush during a draining.

We have discussed in some classes a way for RV12's and other aircaft setups to have an alternative drain route so it doesn't get all over the engine and or firewall. A good way is to get a 6" funnel with a tube attached. Take some thick wire and drill two holes in both sides of the funnel lip. Attach a wire on both sides and then make a hook on the end that can be hung over an engine part to keep the funnel in place. The tube can now run down into a catch basin. The funnel can be suspended under the tank far enough as to not interfer with removing the drain plug.

... It's amazing how dirty that oil tank gets ...

I have all my Rotax maintenance done by a Rotax certified AN&P (to avoid any warranty dispute and for my own safety too :eek:). I noticed that when he changes oil he always takes the oil tank to his shop where he drains and cleans it. If this is the right way to change oil for a 912 installing a Drain Valve may not be that useful.

I have all my Rotax maintenance done by a Rotax certified AN&P (to avoid any warranty dispute and for my own safety too :eek:). I noticed that when he changes oil he always takes the oil tank to his shop where he drains and cleans it. If this is the right way to change oil for a 912 installing a Drain Valve may not be that useful.

This is only required if using 100LL more than 30% of the time.

If someone is using unleaded fuel nearly 100%, then it is not necessary.

I installed a Curtis-style quick drain on my RV-12. No fit problems and it is simple to attach a short drain hose and open the drain valve.

Safe air has a fitting that lowers the valve to allow it to open with the domed tray. I have it installed in my Rans S19. Makes it easier to drain the oil and even keeps it neater if you are going to remove the tank for cleaning.

Some aircraft oil tank installs leave no option to access the oil tank drain plug so they do remove the tank to dump the oil which is perfectly acceptable.

Some aircraft oil tank installs leave no option to access the oil tank drain plug so they do remove the tank to dump the oil which is perfectly acceptable.

There is no access issues at all with the oil tank on the RV-12 so not relevant here in this forum.

The funnel idea I mentioned above I got from one of your RV12 users, works well and seems to keep everything clean. I forgot who told me about that idea.

The funnel idea I mentioned above I got from one of your RV12 users, works well and seems to keep everything clean. I forgot who told me about that idea.

I guess they do their oil changes out in the open with the wind blowing?

I have never had any problem with oil getting on anything while draining the RV-12 oil tank, and would prefer to not have one more tool to clean up afterwards.....

I do my oil changes in the hangar, so no wind. I do see some oil draining on the firewall flange. I just put in the Curtis drain valve, and I am looking forward to a cleaner drain next time.

Back