What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Log Entry for Paint

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
Hello All!

I had a guy at my airport paint my RV-7A. I disassembled the control surfaces, etc and gave the pieces to him for paint. While reassembling, I thought I'd proceed to do an annual inspection since the airplane was apart anyway. After annual, I performed a new weight and balance on the airplane (paint added 12 pounds).

So as I make my log entries for the annual, paint, weight & balance, I need to know which log to make the entries for the new weight & balance and the entry for painting. Is painting considered a major alteration in the maintenance logs? Any special way to present my new weight and balance in my records? I'm new to this so a lot of detail if needed would be appreciated!

Ben

Keep the new w & b printout in the ships papers and record brief details on the next maintenance line in your logbook - empty, moment, weight on each wheel etc.

The logbook is a diary, it can contain any information pertinent to your airplane in order that you or a future owner can quickly reference stuff. The number of times I have done pre buy inspections for guys and the logbooks say nothing....... We usually walk away at that point :rolleyes:

Now you have repainted it, in the back cover, or on the last page - enter the details of what system was used and most importantly what the paint codes were for the colors you used. In a few years, if you need to touch up or repair, it is now a breeze for your paint man to order matching paint. I always note the RAL or manufacturers codes, not just Ford White - must have a number.

Anytime I do a W&B I'll print out the pertinent details on a logbook sized label and stick it in the logbook on the next available page. It will include (among other things) the date weighed and the wording " this record superceeds all previous". The previous label will then get a single red diagonal line through it and the words "Superseded".

it can be as simple as, "painted aircraft.
re-weight aircraft new empty weight 4000lbs and new empty cg 3456 inches"

then normal condition inspection sign off.

as mike said, i would list manufacture and paint codes.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

One additional entry that may be applicable would be something like -

Removed control surfaces for painting, checked for balance after paint, reinstalled control surfaces.

Back