What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Trim. Why is the RV-14 not equipped?

Aussieflyer

Speaking to an experienced RV builder and aviator of all RV models, he was amazed the RV14 does not have aileron trim included in the build. Why is this so? Tim O you are flying your RV14 and have experience with RV10's, what's your thoughts. Are we going to need aileron trim?

The trim system for the 14 is the same bias spring system for the 10. I got it and will install it when I attach the wings.

It's listed in the catalog as EA-10 KIT

I believe it was always intended as an option for the 14 since the wing is essentially the same.

As he said, you can by the EA-10 Kit and use that.
I installed mine in the closest bay on the Left wing, but as I understand it, due to them putting the AHRS bracket there, they moved it to the Right for the RV-14 but haven't yet released a specific kit for the RV-14.

The RV-10 kit works fine and I bet it would work fine in either location if you mount it properly. It's real simple to install. Definitely nice to do before you add wingtips. I do have the AHRS bracket but it isn't used, in the Left wing and there is no issue having it there. They don't interfere at all

I do definitely find that I use it in the RV14 as well as the 10. The RV-14 is just a little more roll sensitive than the RV-10 and I find that you will tend to roll off to one side if you are off balance in trim or fuel. So I would highly recommend it if you hand fly. I'm sure if you always use autopilot you could get by without but for the low enough cost and complexity I find it worth while.

I do also use my rudder trim in the RV-14, but I would say I use it maybe 50% as much as the aileron trim or maybe even a little less. That one really would be one I'd suggest more if you plan to do long x/c flights. If you're just a local flyer doing hamburger runs, you could skip the rudder trim easily enough. But that's not the type of flying I do.

Has anyone had experience fitting the 7/9 manual spring bias trim?
I have the kit and I think by making an extension bracket coming off the spar web as the attachment point it looks like I can get a clear line to the bottom stick bolts as described in the trim install plans.
It will mean that the lever will be mounted vertically and come up through a slot between the forward section of the seats.
Just amusing myself with the possibility at this stage however it does look doable.

RV-14 Rudder trim

I do also use my rudder trim in the RV-14, but I would say I use it maybe 50% as much as the aileron trim or maybe even a little less. That one really would be one I'd suggest more if you plan to do long x/c flights.

Tim,
I had the chance to meet you and your wife at Oshkosh and admire your beautiful new bird! Congratulations!
I noticed you installed an electric servo for rudder trim, same as the elevator trim. Could you share your thoughts on the advantages of doing that vs. a bias spring system on the rudder?

Hi Joe,
It would be great to know what systems you have in the RV 14 taildragger or trike that aren't in the main kits supplied for the airframe? For first time builders like myself, it would make it a lot easier to know what your stock planes have in terms of aileron trims,yaw trims etc.
When building for the first time and not having flown any of the proto types, it is very hard to determine what is necessary for operating the plane for cross country vfr.
Would it be possible to get this information from Vans.
Thanks.

One way to look at it is if it is on the list, it has probably been installed in at least one, but likely both of the airplanes.
So in a sense you already have the list.

Hi Joe,
It would be great to know what systems you have in the RV 14 taildragger or trike that aren't in the main kits supplied for the airframe? For first time builders like myself, it would make it a lot easier to know what your stock planes have in terms of aileron trims,yaw trims etc.
When building for the first time and not having flown any of the proto types, it is very hard to determine what is necessary for operating the plane for cross country vfr.
Would it be possible to get this information from Vans.
Thanks.

I can tell you when I flew the taildragger it had a wedge on the tail. I also added that wedge to mine and it eliminated having to hold some left rudder in cruise.

Thanks Scott and Stoney for your replies, i am a slow learner but am coming to realise there is obviously still considerable sub kits to order over and above the finish and firewall forward kits to complete the RV 14.
Stoney or Scott, does the RV 14 taildragger have the aileron trim kit fitted and/or ,of the list provided by Joe, what kits does the taildragger not have fitted to it?
Sorry to ask all these questions and maybe I should contact Vansaircraft direct, as I am getting close to ordering the finish kit but now realise for freight purposes I need to make some calls on what other parts I need.

Thanks Scott and Stoney for your replies, i am a slow learner but am coming to realise there is obviously still considerable sub kits to order over and above the finish and firewall forward kits to complete the RV 14.
Stoney or Scott, does the RV 14 taildragger have the aileron trim kit fitted and/or ,of the list provided by Joe, what kits does the taildragger not have fitted to it?
Sorry to ask all these questions and maybe I should contact Vansaircraft direct, as I am getting close to ordering the finish kit but now realise for freight purposes I need to make some calls on what other parts I need.

When I was ready for the aileron trim, there was no kit included for the 14 and I don't think one is included now because some choose not to add it. Van's told me the RV-10 will work on the 14, so I ordered and installed that. It works fine. The rudder trim wedge I got from Cleaveland. Bob Avery used to sell them until he closed and I believe he supplies them to Cleaveland. It's a solid plastic wedge about 6" long and tapered. I originally used duct tape to attach it and like how it worked, so I attached it to the rudder with an epoxy before I brought my plane to get painted. My painter told me I should have waited to epoxy it so he could paint under it, but I don't think it's ever coming off.

Don't apologize for the questions, I've had plenty myself, so I'm happy to help where I can. Originally I hadn't intended to install the aileron trim, but I'm glad I did.

Back