What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glue rear window before riveting skins?

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
So I'm trying to wrap my head around my next few months of work and have hit a question. I am building a tip-up and using SikaFlex (just received it, so it's new and unopened) to secure the canopy and rear window. Each of those installations is a separate job, I've already done the big cut, the canopy is trimmed and the canopy frame is only a few hours of work away from being ready for attaching the plexi. I haven't yet done everything I want to do in the tailcone and the top skins are still off. So, here's the question...

Can I secure (glue) the rear window inside the aft top skin before riveting that skin to the fuselage (just very well clecoed)? The reason I'd want to do this is so I don't have a multiple month gap between the canopy and the rear window, in which time my sikaflex supplies would get stale. This, of course, suggests that I'll want to remove the rear window/aft top skin from the plane so I can better finish the tailcone items. I'd obviously need to be careful to keep the shape on the skin/window as stable and close to installation shape as possible.

My alternative seems to be putting the canopy on hold and putting my effort into finishing the wiring and other stuff in the tailcone and getting the skins attached. This is probably be at least 2 months work. After that's done, I'd glue the canopy and rear window. My biggest reservation there is the temperature, not sure if Sikaflex is too picky, but my garage will all too soon be unable to get above 12-14C (55-60F) or lower as winter approaches.

Thank you for getting this far in my ramblings. Any thoughts? Is this a really bad idea?

That top skin has a lot of spring to it, what is your plan to keep it from bowing out, kinda sketchy....I don't know if (I) would try it........

I wouldn't...

Seems more like you're asking if a poorly bonded window (and probably some PITA rework) is worth the $100 or so you spent on the Sika. I'd say it isn't.

The rear window is also attached to the roll bar. If you plan to glue it in place you will need fresh sika later anyway. I'd either wait on the rear window or plan to go for it and rivet the skins on.

Brian

The rear window is also attached to the roll bar. If you plan to glue it in place you will need fresh sika later anyway. I'd either wait on the rear window or plan to go for it and rivet the skins on.

Brian

Okay, that's what I was looking for. I failed to spot the roll bar connection when I visualized this. Obviously I can't get away with this.

Anyone with any experience with applying SikaFlex in lower temperatures?

Thanks for the brain check.

We did both our 7 and 8 in those temps without a problem.

A little spot heating inside the fuselage with a fan heater prior to commencing is fine, or just get a couple of cheapo IR radiators from Canadian Tire or similar.

Actually gives a little more working time.

Drop me an email address via PM and I will send snaps of our 7 install. Particularly an easy way of supporting the rear canopy while gluing.

It might actually be easier in the cool temperatures. When it is hot, the Sika primer dries almost instantly. Having a few extra seconds to get it from the can to the surface would be nice.

Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered all of my aft of the baggage wall equipment. My Aktivator shows a best before date of 9/2016 so I guess I'd better be getting to work...

Back