What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What full face respirator do you use?

Av8rRob

Well Known Member
Just curious what full face respirator you use. I'm looking at spraying Azko outdoors.

Thanks

3M

I use a 3M with organic cartridges but it's not a full face.
I wear glasses and a full face will leak around the frames.

North full face dual cartridge with peel off lens covers
Found the mask on eBay.
These can be adapted to forced air I believe (forced air is really nice for long sessions. Air conditioning for your face.)

I have been using a 3M full-face with organic vapor cartridges so far.

I am rolling my own fresh air system for when it is time to do the big jobs. I already made the adapter to connect to my existing mask. I ran a test using my planned air source and had good positive flow. I am using two brushless 12v DC server fans in series. It seems to work well. I need to make a housing since they are quite loud. The fans draw 5amps each and move some serious air. Need to find a power supply as well.

I have been using a 3M full-face with organic vapor cartridges so far.

I am rolling my own fresh air system for when it is time to do the big jobs. I already made the adapter to connect to my existing mask. I ran a test using my planned air source and had good positive flow. I am using two brushless 12v DC server fans in series. It seems to work well. I need to make a housing since they are quite loud. The fans draw 5amps each and move some serious air. Need to find a power supply as well.

You could also use a bathroom fan. They operate on 120v and are inexpensive.

3M full face with organic cartridges, tare off lens covers and pre cartridge filters, these have a protection factor of 50. use caution with the half over the nose ones, they only have a PF of 10.

3M 4251 Organic half mask.

They are on Fleabay or Amazon.

I put the date on them and throw them after 2 months.

Cheap, easy and I have never had issues with vapour or any dizziness.

Don't forget, the full face air fed stuff is for guys doing it day in, day out who need the protection. We use common sense, do small amounts and take care. Ask the guys who shot paint years ago with a simple dust mask on - Jeeesh !

Also, a lot of the paint or primer we shoot isn't cyano, some is just 1k or 2k cellulose.

If I was getting a full face respirator again I would probably get the new 3M FX

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Facepiece-Respirator-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B00AR63TRS

I have the earlier version of this, and it's not quite as comfortable. I also have the half face that I use when mixing paints, dealing with solvents etc. or even just edge finishing or countersinking. I love it, because it's comfortable enough to spend all day in. This is the 7500 series.

For filters, my preference is the organic vapor/acid gas P100 filter. I have spent a lot of time studying filter cartridges, and this one really can't be beaten for most of our applications.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEFCKK...top-rhs-carousels&ie=UTF8&qid=1466631787&sr=2

For a forced breathing unit, I have the HobbyAir with the full face mask. Their mask frankly sucks, as there's something in the rubber that stinks badly. I thought it would go away after a while, but here I am more than a year later and it's still bad. I contacted the manufacturer about it, and they said they have a new mask style coming out, but I would just check first before pulling the trigger if you go down this path.

Finally, if you are painting outdoors, one thing to keep in mind is the glare off the aluminium, and make sure you get some tinted lense protectors, as this can be brutal in the direct sunlight.

Good luck.

Tom.

Back