What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What hardware spares?

Westerhuis

Hi all

For those who have built their own a/c this is a basic question I guess but I bought mine (an RV8). Condition inspection is due soon and I wanted to get a batch of spare screws, cup washers, washer etc. All those things that you want to replace at the first sign of trouble / wear.

Could anyone let me know what bits of hardware I should keep in stock?

I guess what I am really looking for are things like the type of screw (hardware bit), material and their dimensions?

I don't really want a whole aircraft's worth of spare nuts, screws and bolts as 90% ends up just sitting there I guess, but the things you do and undo the most; screws and cup washers for the wheel spats, screws for the wing inspection covers, for the internal covers, nylon washer, cotter pins etc.

Thanks

Roger

Spares

Roger, when I travel in my 6A, I always carry a spare fuel drain valve, a spare gas cap and a spare main inner tube. I've needed every one of those items at least once.

Any left over aluminum chips in your fuel tank will get trapped in the o-ring of that drain valve. It's frustrating to get caught on the ramp of a remote airport and one of those valves starts leaking when you check for water. (Not easy to unscrew the valve, hold one finger over the hole and try to clear the chip out of the o-ring with your free hand by blowing on the chip or licking it off with your tongue.) You'll need a 7/16" wrench to remove and replace the valve.
John

Rogier,

Screws

#6 1/2" - get std and countersunk, check on airframe the mix
#8 1/2" - ditto

Washers

#6 and #8 stainless, plastic and stainless tinnerman washers.

If you look at price and get 50 or 100 of each it won't be expensive. Get a Stanley organiser with lots of little compartments, you can write on each compartment with a Sharpie.

Bolts generally don't need replacing, but screws - especially stainless ones do, they gall easily on the heads and for the cost just replace at least every 2 annuals.

Indulge yourself and get a Snap-On screwdriver. Yes, I know they are expensive, but it is the last screwdriver you will ever need. It can be used for screws, a pry bar, removing boy scouts from horses hooves and in close quarter combat - a very handy tool ;) Basicaly, having the correct bit for the size and type of screw is very important. Also get a bit holder and decent quality set of Phillips bits from Home Despot to fit your battery screwdriver. Removing screws with a battery screwdriver is OK, tightening is not unless it has a really good clutch set correctly.

All hardware is super cheap and easily obtained from Spruce.

I do hope your spats are OK :rolleyes:

What hardware spares

Rogier,

Screws

#6 1/2" - get std and countersunk, check on airframe the mix
#8 1/2" - ditto

Washers

#6 and #8 stainless, plastic and stainless tinnerman washers.

If you look at price and get 50 or 100 of each it won't be expensive. Get a Stanley organiser with lots of little compartments, you can write on each compartment with a Sharpie.

Bolts generally don't need replacing, but screws - especially stainless ones do, they gall easily on the heads and for the cost just replace at least every 2 annuals.

Indulge yourself and get a Snap-On screwdriver. Yes, I know they are expensive, but it is the last screwdriver you will ever need. It can be used for screws, a pry bar, removing boy scouts from horses hooves and in close quarter combat - a very handy tool ;) Basicaly, having the correct bit for the size and type of screw is very important. Also get a bit holder and decent quality set of Phillips bits from Home Despot to fit your battery screwdriver. Removing screws with a battery screwdriver is OK, tightening is not unless it has a really good clutch set correctly.

All hardware is super cheap and easily obtained from Spruce.

I do hope your spats are OK :rolleyes:

Thanks Mike - The spats are fine at the moment, but let's not jinx it!I'l have a look at Snap-On screwdrivers.

Re. your advice bellow if you talk about #6 screws 1/2" what exactly is it that I need to order from Spruce? Are you talking about AN507s machine screws? Would that be: MS24693-S28 6-32 1/2 (this example is the countersunk one)

Thanks

R

Well, having just completed a $50+ dollar order from Aircraft Spruce, here is what I ordered.....
The reason I did this, was it was reasonably priced. You get some price breaks at the 50 and 100 qty. And I don't really have any spares and this annual there was one of the stainless steel screws that had the threads galled off and needed to be replaced. Plus some start to get the phillips heads galled a little bit. I have a little small Black and Decker cordless drill that I have one of the longer 6" phillips bit that has the serrations on the points so it grabs the screws better and I use it to remove the screws. Then when it comes time to install the screws, it is sad to say that every screw gets touched 3 times. 1. I use the cordless drill to start the screw, but I only start it until I get all the other screws on that panel installed. 2. Then with the clutch setting on a 2 or 3 I fully insert the screws. Then 3. I use my normal nice ratchet, snap on style, screw driver and hand tighten each one.

Here is my order:

Counter Sunk Stainless Screws:
Tail fairings #6x3/8 - MS24693C26*QTY 150
Tail fairings #6x1/2 - MS24693C28 QTY 100
Wing Root fairlings #8x7/16 MS24693C49 (QTY 150)
Wheel Pant Brackets #8x1/2 - MS24693C50 QTY 20
Wheel Pant fairings #6x1/2 - MS24693C28 (Above)
Wing Inspection panels #6x3/8 - MS24693C26 (Above)
Wing Inspection panels #8x7/16 - MS24693-C49 (Above)

Counter Sunk Stainless Washers:
#6 04-00397 QTY 20
#8 04-00392 QTY 20

Truss Head Stainless
Baggage Panels and Seat Pans #8x3/8 - AN526C-832R6 QTY 200
Baggage Panels and Seat Pans #8x1/2 - AN526C-832R8 QTY 140
Lower Cowl #8x1/2 - AN526C-832R8 (above)
Wheel Pant bolt brackets #10x1/2 AN526C-1032R6 QTY 20

Wheel Bolts AN4-22 QTY 12
Wheel lock nuts AN4 Nylon lock - MS21044N4*QTY 20
Wheel AN4 washers MS34333-38 - AN960-4 QTY 20

As always, your mileage may vary....

Get an annual condition checklist and use that as your guide. For example in the engine compartment you will be removing and reinstalling your spark plugs. You will need new copper washers. If you are running a carb you will need to remove and check the fuel inlet strainer. A new carb lock washer will be needed. Checking the oil sump strainer? You will need a new crush ring gasket. Pmags? You will need new lock washers. Cutting open the filter?..............

Back